Chapter 10 • acceptance

"Vance, I'm so sorry I didn't visit much" Vance's mother explained

"It's ok mom, your hugging me a little tight" Vance complained

"Im just glad your alive" his mother teared
"I have to get to work now,be safe, I love you"

"Can Bruce come over?" Vance asked

"Again?..alright, I heard he's a good kid" his mother replied

Vance and Bruce hung out almost every day, besides when Bruce had baseball practice, school was coming close to open back up and their friendship had grown closer and closer.

"I..like him" Bruce thought to himself, he was finally accepting he had a crush on this boy

"But no one can ever know" Bruce was worried if he told Vance he liked him, their friendship would be over and the whole school would find out. It was the 70s after all, "people like that were wrong" his father always said.

Suddenly Bruce's train of thought was broken by ringing. He ran downstairs to answer, not surprised  it was Vance. They chatted for a bit, and Vance was on the way to Bruce's house instead. They argued that Vance should finally come over instead of Bruce coming over.

They would have the house all to themselves anyway, Bruce's mother is taking Amy to see a movie, and his father is going to a meeting. Bruce didn't go since the movie was more Amy's age.

After half an hour a knock came to the door, Bruce's father opened it since they hadn't left yet.

"...who are you?"

"You met me last week, when I was dropping off Bruce." (He used his moms car)

Bruce finally came to the door, greeting Vance to come in. His father shrugged it off and went back to his newspaper, waiting for Amy and Bruce's mother to get ready.

They went upstairs to his room and talked for a bit before Bruce left the room to say goodbye to his parents and sister.

"Be back from the store or park by 9 do you hear me? If not I want you at Vance's house at least, no walking around at night" Bruce knew his mother would say no to a party if she didn't know the parents, the kids, where and when. So instead he said their going to the store soon and eat at the park"

"Your a bad influence on me" Bruce spoke after entering the room.

"Yea well we leave to go to the party at 8, so tell them ur at my house" Vance replied

It was around 6:30 so they watched a movie before getting ready.

"Let's go" Vance shouted from outside

"Hold on" Bruce was nervous to be going to a party, especially since he was going with Vance, watching the movie felt awkward and quiet to him because now he accepted he had a crush on this guy.

The walk to the party felt awkward but once they were there it started to get fun, loud, and tipsy.
Vance was drinking and Bruce only tried a bit since he was "a good kid"

The music was loud, the air smelt of weed, and the house was crowded. Bruce went to the bathroom to get a small break from the strong smell of weed. When he was stopped by a girl.

"Bruce right?" "Let me get you a drink, no alcohol of course"

"...sure, I've been looking for water" Bruce was a little relived there was something other than liquor.

"Here, it's some soda from the fridge"

Bruce was a little skeptical but drank it anyway, after an hour he felt- weird? That girl must've given him liquor after all, probably mixed with soda.

"Vance..let's go home please" it was around 12:00 and Bruce was feeling really weird.

"You good? You look a little tipsy" Vance was barely drunk since he had been going to party's like these for years.

Bruce felt as if his legs were numb, he felt weak and tired. Almost falling on Vance.

They finally went home around 1:00 and went to Vance's house instead. If Bruce's parents saw him, they would be in big trouble.

After finally getting home Vance dragged Bruce into the bathroom since he looked like he was going to vomit.

They were both sitting on the bathroom floor, tired and tipsy from the party.

"Can I tell you something" bruce whispered

"What" Vance replied back

"I have a crush" bruce smiled

"...who"

"...i can't tell, you'll think im weird"

"Nah man if it's boy that's fine"

"Yea..it's a boy"

"Vance was slightly jealous that the crush wasn't him, was it? Since it was a boy he might have a chance... Vance doesn't like boys..does he?
——-
Ok

I'm gonna post at least once a week, it mostly works for me 🤷‍♀️ and if ur lucky u get a chapter on the weekends.

Hope you liked this chapter byee 🫶🏼