𝟏𝟏 • 𝐓𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐆𝐔𝐈𝐃𝐄

🅣🅞🅤🅡 🅖🅤🅘🅓🅔
─────•~❉᯽❉~•─────

After training that day, Sensei keeps Johnny and I after to speak with us privately in the empty dojo.

"What's this about?" I ask him in a hushed voice as we follow Kreese into his office. He shrugs and we both take our seats in the chairs opposite of his desk.

"Mr. Lawrence here helps train some of my other classes on his off days so he has enough experience that I'm comfortable making this arrangement." Arrangement? I glance at the boy who's equally as clueless and intrigued as I am.

"I would like you to train, Ms. Emmerik." You've got to be kidding me. Why him- why not Tommy or Bobby even? "Mr. Lawrence is beyond the top of his class. You have the potential to be something great if you take his advice and accept his help. You'll have the dojo to yourselves. Private lessons begin tomorrow, understood?" We both pause for a moment before responding.

"Understood?" He emphasizes sharply.

"Yes, sensei." We reply in unison.

"You may leave." Johnny allows me to leave first and he closes the door on the way out as I trudge toward the exit.

"You're mad." He accuses, catching the door I pass off to him.

"I'm not mad."

"Sure seems like it." He retorts,

"Whatever," I pause in my tracks, staring into the pitch-black sidewalk ahead of me. "Fuck," I mutter, realizing I hadn't driven here.

"Where are you going?" He questions when he notices I'm not headed toward the parking lot.

"Home; my car is at the mechanic's," I reply, taking a step toward the diner Mrs. Larusso manages.

"Come on, I'll give you a ride." He suggests, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's alright, I don't live far," I respond, yet he stands in the same place.

"Exactly, so it's not a problem." I shake my head slightly. "It's dark out."

"So?"

"No girl should be walking home alone in the dark." He walks around his convertible to open the passenger door.

"Lawrence, I'm fine-"

"Get in or I'm gonna drag you here myself." He threatens and part of me wanted to fight the idea, but the other knew he wouldn't let me be, even if I told him to.

Without a word, Johnny watches me as I reluctantly trudge up to the passenger side and allows the door to close once I'm in. He hops into the driver's seat, pulling out of the dojo's parking lot as Billy Idol's 'Eyes Without A Face' sounds from the speakers.

The interior's scent is a mix of cologne and a comfortable woody smell, almost reminding me of the forest preserve behind my old Chicago apartment complex. The only words we exchanged the whole ride were related to directions and I just told him to go to Ali's and that I'd tell him where to go from there.

He nods at my response and as if without a thought, drives to Ali's with one hand stabilizing the steering wheel. The Los Angeles traffic lights shine red and green tints onto the surface of his skin and his eyes reflect the same hues as he keeps his gaze on the road.

A ping of jealousy runs through me as my mind wanders to how many times he's probably taken this route to go pick up Ali or drive her home, just the same as he's doing with me now. I didn't know why I cared so much or why the idea made an uneasy feeling appear in my stomach. Before I know it, we pull onto my street and I direct him to drive down a few more houses to get to mine.