Heartbeat

____________
A few days later
___________

Sofia received lots of messages from Xavier and Zoe, but she didn't reply to a single one.

She began to do research about abortions. She knew it was a serious decision and wanted to make sure she was informed about all her options. As she read about the different procedures and risks, she couldn't help but feel overwhelmed and scared.

Eventually, she made the decision to go to a clinic to talk to someone in person. She scheduled an appointment and nervously made her way to the clinic.

Sofia sat nervously in the exam room, her hands fidgeting in her lap. She had made the difficult decision to have an abortion, but now that she was here, waiting to speak with the nurse, she felt overwhelmed with anxiety.

A few moments later, the nurse walked in and introduced herself. "Hi, I'm Sarah. I'm here to answer any questions you might have and help you understand what to expect during the abortion procedure."

Sofia nodded, grateful for the nurse's calm and reassuring demeanor.

"So, first things first," Sarah said. "We need to confirm your pregnancy and make sure it's safe for you to have the procedure. We'll do an ultrasound and some blood work to check your hormone levels."

Sofia nodded again, feeling a knot form in her stomach. She knew she was pregnant, but the reality of the situation was hitting her hard.

"Assuming everything looks good," Sarah continued, "we'll schedule your abortion for a few days from now. The procedure itself usually only takes about 10-15 minutes, and you'll be given anesthesia to make sure you don't feel any pain."

Sofia breathed a sigh of relief at the thought of not feeling any pain. "Okay."

"After the procedure," Sarah went on, "you may experience some cramping and bleeding for a few days. It's important to take it easy and rest as much as possible during this time. You'll also need to avoid sex and use tampons for a few weeks to give your body time to heal."

Sofia nodded, taking in all the information. "Are there any other side effects I should be aware of?" she asked.

"Well, some women experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea after the procedure," Sarah said. "We'll give you medication to help manage these symptoms if they occur. And there's a small chance of infection, but we'll give you antibiotics to help prevent that."

Sofia nodded again, feeling a sense of relief at having all the information laid out for her.

"If you have any questions or concerns at any point," Sarah said, "please don't hesitate to call us. We're here to support you through this process."

Sofia thanked the nurse and left the clinic feeling a bit more at ease.

"This is the right thing to do." She told herself.

A few days later, Sofia returned to the clinic for her ultrasound appointment. She was nervous but also relieved to finally have a clear picture of what was happening inside her body. She knew that she had made the decision to have an abortion, but a small part of her still wondered what it would be like to have a child.

As she lay back on the exam table, the nurse, Sarah, applied some gel to her stomach and began to move the ultrasound wand around. Sofia tried not to look, but she couldn't help herself. She watched the screen as Sarah searched for the image of the fetus.

"There it is," Sarah said, pointing to a small, flickering spot on the screen. "That's the heartbeat."

Sofia's heart raced as she stared at the image. She had never seen anything like it before. She listened as Sarah explained the various measurements and showed her the different parts of the developing fetus.

As the nurse continued the exam, Sofia began to feel a sense of attachment to the tiny life growing inside her. She had been so focused on her own fears and insecurities that she hadn't allowed herself to really consider the possibility of becoming a mother.

When Sarah finished the exam, she turned to Sofia with a gentle smile. "So, everything looks good," she said. "Your hormone levels are where they should be, and the fetus is developing normally."

Sofia nodded, feeling overwhelmed by conflicting emotions. She thanked the nurse and sat up, wiping away tears that had formed in her eyes.

"I can't do this," she cried. "I can't go through with the abortion."

"Is everything okay?" Sarah asked.

Sofia shook her head, feeling a lump form in her throat. "I don't know," she said. "I thought I was sure about my decision, but seeing the ultrasound... I don't know if I can go through with it."

Sarah listened patiently as Sofia explained how she was feeling. She reassured her that it was okay to change her mind and that there were other options available if she decided to continue the pregnancy.

Leaving the clinic, Sofia felt a mix of emotions. She was scared and unsure of what the future held, but she also felt a sense of hope and determination. She knew that she had made the right decision for herself and her baby, and she was ready to face the challenges that lay ahead.

Meanwhile, Xavier sat in his office with his head in his hands when Zoe walked in.

"We need to talk." Said Zoe.

"About what?" He asked

"Jenna."