15

Alcestic stared at the outstretched hand in shock, not expecting the stoic little boy to take the initiative to befriend him. But even so...

Alcestic laughed lightly while taking the pale hands in his calloused ones. He looked up at Kai with a gentle smile, the image of Kai's illuminated figure reflecting off his green eyes.

"Happily!"

'He doesn't seem to have recalled his memories, perhaps all those reincarnations really have taken a toll on him.'

The corners of his lips pulled down slightly as he thought, a small gloom rippled through his eyes before he got up, pulling both of their attention away from the moment. "You haven't said your name yet? Also, please call me Al! Alcestic sounds too ugly compared to Al."

Kai nodded, making some space as he looked up at the older youth. "My name is Kai Idunn," He paused for a moment. "Al."

A bright smile appeared on Al's face again, "It's very nice to meet you, Kai. May we be together forever," and ever.

Kai looked at him with an inexplicable gaze, his thoughts hanging on the last few words he said. 'Together forever'?

The two rode the wagon for another 3 days before finally reaching their destination. Along the way, Al was surprised to find that Kai was headed in the same direction as him and offered to show him around to get himself familiar. Kai didn't object, and he enjoyed the numerous flowers that grew on the houses as well as seeing their interesting infrastructure.

The houses were built on stilts, just a few feet off the grounds; underneath the houses were deep pits. Confused at this, Kai unhesitantly asked for an explanation from Al. Al responded with a patient smile like he was witnessing a newborn kitten learning how to walk.

"It's their way of flood control. It's quite intricate actually, underneath those pits are water systems that take the water to another area farther from the center, where there is a lack of water and rain. This way their agriculture can be maintained!"

Kai nodded at the explanation, finding it quite interesting.

Al eventually led him to an inn, it was rather expensive but with all the money Aunt Amalthea forced on him it seemed cheap.

Al excused himself after a while, leaving Kai to familiarize himself with the place. Kai didn't bother him, placing down his luggage and walking around the small room in a daze before collapsing back-first on the bed. He stared at the ceiling, his eyes swirling with an unknown emotion.

The sweet and fresh scent of flowers invaded his nose, which relaxed his weary body and eventually lured him to sleep. The next morning, Kai continued to walk around the streets, still wondering what he should do while he was there.

He looked at the numerous shops and stalls, all decored with beautiful petals and flowers. Until he saw a stall that sold kebabs; Kai walked over with a straight face, money already in his hand and ready to buy.

Just as he was about to take the kebabs from the seller, he heard a familiar laugh above him. "Aren't you going to say hi to me, Kai? I'm working so hard right now."

Kai looked up to see Al, he was momentarily dumbfounded before shaking his head in a panic. "H-hi..." He stuttered out.

"You're so cute."

Kai continued to look at him as he moved to the side, his cheeks bulging as he took a bite of the kebab. Al sent him a passing smile before preparing another batch of fresh kebabs.

"You work here?" Kai finally asked after a long moment of silence between the two. Al hummed, sitting back on a stool. 

"I live here actually." As he said this, he cast an inexplicable smile at Kai. "I used to live here with my cute little wife."

Kai: "You're married?"

Al: "Previously." He answered while resting his chin on the back of his hand.

Kai: "Oh, what happened?"

Al laughed, "You should be more careful when asking about people's marriages but you're a lucky little guy, aren't you? Well, it's a bit complicated but I guess I can just shorten it to...He forgot about me?"

Kai tilted his head in confusion. "How can a wife forget about her husband?"

Al didn't respond and although he was curious, Kai understood that he must've hit a sore spot for him and dropped the topic. Kai didn't want to keep watching Al the entire time he worked, as his interest quickly faded after he finished eating, and he soon walked away without saying goodbye, searching for something else that might catch his eye.

Watching the boy leave with his back turned to him, Al let out a discontented sigh, though there was a hint of pampering in his eyes.

"He forgot about his husband because I didn't love him enough," Al muttered softly, answering the question Kai had asked before. Not long after Kai left, there was a vibration in Al's pants. He took out a card from his pockets.

Al looked at the illuminating card that kept buzzing, a look at dissatisfaction and contempt on his face. A chibi-characterized little figure that was stiffly animated kept waving its arms as the call continued to try and connect; that little figure had familiar red hair and red eyes, with black armor on its small body.

Al reluctantly picked up the call, holding the card a distance from his face. Then, a very familiar and irritated voice rang out, and Al let out a groan. The person on the other line audibly 'tsked' upon hearing him.

"The Saint is still alive, Alcestic. You didn't kill her."

"Oh? Did you regain your memories? Sigrun."

Extra Corner: Redraw and Notes.

[Childhood Antics of Esmond and Kai] @Otto01340079656 on Twitter

The last chapter(14), I fucked up on because I felt rushed to finish it. Anyways, I've rewritten the part that didn't make sense so you can go back and reread it if you want.