x

'how you finding the new school?'

karma and riz had just walked down the stairs, talking and laughing with each other, both all ready in their school uniforms, despite one of riz's jumpers covering karmas thin shirt due to the fact that she'd ditched her blazer at home the night before and had no intention of getting it that morning.

karma pursed her lips as riz grabbed both of their bags, handing the girl hers as he ignored his dad for a moment.

'it's okay.'

mr nawaz approached, glancing at karma who was a foot or so away now, on the floor, lacing up her converse.

'got yourself a girlfriend yet?'

riz sighed, glaring slightly at his father, praying that karma wasn't listening in.

'i know what goes on, son. just don't let it become a distraction, alright? you've got to learn to compartmentalise- work, play, home.'

riz ignored his dad once more, turning towards his mum and sister.

'we're gonna be late!'

'i know!'

'great news about the rugby team. you're gonna need some boots, aren't you? get a good pair, eh? let me know how much you need.'

riz stared ahead, still refusing to talk to his father, karma had stayed on the floor, her legs up to her chest as she rocked back and forth slightly to keep her distracted.

'right, come on! i've got a busy morning.'

karma flinched slightly at the sudden shout, riz noticing the act as he was just about to offer his hands to her. he did so, the girl taking his bigger hands and pulling herself up, ending up nose to chest with the boy, her cheeks flooding a sudden pink.

the nawaz boy chuckled, keeping one of his hands in hers to drag her out to the car, the gravel crunching underneath them as alya followed behind.

karma's leg was bouncing as they sat in the car, biting her lip as she tapped her fingers along to the song on the radio, one by the bee gees.

riz had noticed her movements, noting that she couldn't really be comfortable, he put a hand on her leg, resting it where the hem of her skirt met her cold skin, his thumb rubbing back and forth on her skin coloured tights lightly, gently.

she smiled, her hand now resting over his, tapping out the same rhythm to the familiar song on his knuckles.

'what did your mum say?'

'over her dead body, and then dad just stormed out.'

'was the guy fit?'

'he were wearing loafers!'

missy and karma gasped, the blondes hand going to the brunette's arm, their faces displaying equally disgusted looks.

they were walking up the stairs of one of the blocks in their school, karma having caught up to the two, getting filled in on the arranged marriage nas' father had come back to announce.

'your mum won't let it happen. oh my God, unless he kidnaps you!'

'nas, if he does that, you seriously will be living a fanfic. first the scandalous affair and now a kidnapping, someone get on wattpad, please.'

nas chuckled, she knew karma had a tendency to make slightly tactless jokes, especially to her two best friends, she didn't have a very easy time understanding the concept of 'a time and a place' so the two had learnt to avoid taking any of  her jokes to heart, considering she didn't have bad intentions.