i

'education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. our teacher, miss keane, told us that last year. i think she said it to inspire us, didnt half make me think we were wasting our time though.'

karma ashford was sandwiched between her best friends, missy booth and nas paracha, on a sofa that had been dumped on a skip a ways away from their houses.

the three were attending ackley bridge college the next day, and they were spending their last moments of freedom drinking cider and talking about anything and everything.

'no, your teachers not the one who said that.'

'no?'

'no.'

'nas is right, swear i've heard that before.' 

she thought, snapping her fingers when she got the answer.

'albert einstein, he's the one who said that.' karma informed missy, nas nodding along in agreement.

'yeah. but miss keanes the one what said it to us, right.'

'yeah?'

'so, are you two looking forward to tomorrow?'

'yeah, kind of am. karm?'

'i dunno, i'm scared people won't like me or i'll do shit in class to be honest but overall i'll be happy to see other people again.'

'karma, you're the baby of this town, even the bloody murgatroyds like ya, you'll be fine.'

'thanks nas.'

she smiled, leaning on the brunette's shoulder.

'missy, are you drunk?'

'yeah.'

'yeah?'

'i suppose so.'

nas and karma laughed at their blonde friend, looking at her as she slightly chuckled.

'i might be sick.'

'right.'

karma leaned away from missy jokingly, backing into nas.

'careful.'

'yeah.'

the next morning karma left early, not alerting her parents that she was leaving. she walked down the road, smiling and greeting people as she went, the sound of sex on fire by kings of leon blasting through her headphones.

her phone vibrated, and she looked down at it.

babes💗😋

missy🥂
karm are u walking
with us? x

karma😇
left early and forgot
to let u know
sorry babe x

nas💋
no worries, see u
at school x

she slid her phone back into her pocket, turning the corner and looking at the school. she didn't know how long she had stood, lost in thought, but as her two best friends came up on either side of her, she turned to smile at them.

'i like your shoes karm.'

'thanks babe, i thought i'd spice up the uniform a bit, i hope they don't mind.'

the three took a look around, smiling nervously at each other.

'ready?'