Reasoning

With everyone getting the last preparations done for their takeoff in the morning, Katara went down to the docking system to think about what her next step in this journey would be. Everyone was working hard to get the boat or themselves ready. Nami was mapping out the island, chopper was sorting some new herbs he found, Robin was reading some new books she bought on the history of this island. Franky was cataloguing cola barrels. Yet here she was, doing nothing in preparation for their departure.

What did she want to do anyway? She definitely wanted to get back home. To see Aang again. Sokka. Toph. Her family. Her friends.

She missed them. But unlike those quiet nights alone in the dark with her thoughts and foreign noises, she found herself at peace with where she was. This new experience wasn't bad at all. She did (at least she thought) help win the war by fighting Azula. So it's not like this switch did any detrimental damadge to her previous goal of helping Aang defeat the firelord.

Swishing her feet in the water of the docks opening, she sighed, looking up at the slowly setting sun.

She did manage to find joy here. The sea felt nice and there were all sorts of new adventures to have. She could feel it.

This spark of mystery garnished her spirit for more. She liked it here. Everyone was caring to her. Some even a bit sassy like sokka. She lied down, letting her mind drift to the days events and how nice the environment was. The salty breeze. The odd but comforting warmth of the wood below her. The way the water made her skin tingle with a chill.

The next that were to happen was similar to the sensation she would have when she felt a body of water nearby. But something was different. It felt more... powerful?

Looking toward the presence, she saw a large purple being that looked like a different breed of sea king than what she encountered earlier. "Woah!" She pulled her feet out of the water, backing up from the giant, and it's seemingly translucent form.

"What are you?" She wondered aloud, noticing how it's long body it phased through the sides of the ship.

"I am the sea." The voice called.

Katara raised a brow at the declaration, clearly not amused.

"The spirit of the sea." It added.

"A spirit." Katara gasped. She was familiar with spirits but what she couldn't understand was why it was here. Most spirits only ever show themselves when something's wrong. Like that one forest spirit that attacked a town because of the deforestation the fire nation did nearby. "Is something the matter?"

The spirit smiled and chortled, "I see I chose well. Very quick to help others."

"Chose well? You.. chose me for something?" She never would have thought of herself as someone of importance like that. That role was always for Aang. The avatar. Peace keeper. Bridge between worlds. She was just Katara of the southern water tribe.

"Of course. You have a natural sense of duty and miraculous healing abilities. You're able to sway the hearts of hundreds and bring strength back to your community though your strong spirit. I've seen you do it countless times." It paused, gauging how well she was taking everything. Dissimilar to Aang, whom he talked to earlier, she was quick to follow. "I am in need of help. My seas have been struggling with hatred and bloodshed. Many years ago I became angry and vengeful towards people and other greedy creatures of the sort."