New possibilities

Today during breakfast, Katara sat with Nami instead of luffy. They had entered after the boy had started demanding early food, which was early in terms of when everyone else showed up, "Nami! Tell sanji to give me food!"

"No luffy. You need to wait." She took a ceramic bowl from the cabinet and then went back to the dining table.

"Fine! Katara! Tell sanji to give me an appetizer like last time!"

Sanji smacked him with his swatting spatula, "That was a one time thing! Don't make me regret being kind to you!"

"OWUH NO FAIR!"

Katara bent some seawater in from the window, causing luffy to stop arguing for a second and look at the unnatural looking serpent of water.

"Great. You're already one step ahead." Nami said to her new pupil, scooting over the bowl so Katara can focus on their conversation and not keeping the water blob in the air. "Do you know how clouds are formed?"

"They trap the water around them and just chill up there until they have enough of it to rain."

"Pretty close."

"So what happens is that the sun does this thing called evaporation where it kind of burns up the body of water, putting the pure water molecules into the air. It keeps going up and up until lots of them join together and create clouds."

"What does the sun choose to evaporate?"

Nami laughed lightly. "It just does its thing. As scientists, we can prevent the evaporated water from escaping though a complex system of heat and glass. But instead, we can just use you."

"Okay?" She wasn't too sure if she could do such a thing, but nami seemed to belive in her and that was enough reason to try

"Step one, make it hot. Imagine the water as less calm and more excited. Jumping around everywhere like luffy."

Said boys head spun around, "Hey! I don't do that!"

"You're standing on the counter! Get off!"

Sanji grabbed his swatting spatula again.

Katara easily made it boil. She's done it before to purify freshwater, so this wasn't that hard.

"Great, you got it to boil. Now do more. We want the water to evaporate. It's going to look like steam since we're forcing it to do this. What you want to do is trap as much steam as possible. That will be our freshwater."

"Oh, I think I get it now."

"Yay, keep going, you almost got it."

With her left hand, she placed it above the bowl, letting the steam hit her hand as her right hand continued moving in small circles, resembling the whirlpooling effect that happens in a pot of boiling water. Nami couldn't help but wonder if she learned that through observation or just did what felt right.

Trying her best to concentrate on bending two things, she wisked her left hand to create a bulb of evaporated freshwater. "Woah, I'm doing it!"

"Keep going you're almost done with the bowl."

Katara put more energy into the right hand, trying to get the water hotter, but let out a shriek when the bowl cracked and water splashed all over the table and her lap. "Ow ow ow hot." She stood up, momentarily forgetting that she could bend the water off. Once she did, she heated it up once more to make it evaporate, not finding any convenient places to put it.