Chapter 22: Grief

3rd Person Pov

Voldemort walked away from Raven, who was groaning in pain. His body ached from torture, and the stump of where his arm used to be seethed with pain. Blood was on his robes from his dismemberment and he felt hopeless.

"Here we have six missing Death Eaters." Voldemort said. "Three dead in my service. One, too cowardly to return...he will pay. One, who I believe has left me forever...he will be killed, of course...and one, who remains my most faithful servant, and who has already re-entered my service."

Raven did his best to stay awake, and listen to his words for information and clues he could use if he ever escaped from here. He had guessed the one too cowardly was Karkaroff, his most faithful servant was Snape, but he couldn't identify the other Death Eater he mentioned.

"He is at Hogwarts, that faithful servant, and it was through his efforts that our young friends arrived tonight...Yes." Voldemort grinned, flashing his eyes at Harry. "Harry Potter and Raven Mordecur, have both kindly joined us for my rebirthing party. One might go so far as to call them my guests of honor...one who need to work on his manners." He glared down at Raven.

"Master, we crave to know." Lucius said. "We beg you to tell us...how you have achieved this...this miracle...how you managed to return to us..."

"Ah, what a story it was, Lucius." Voldemort said. "And it begins and ends-with my young friend here." He walked lazily over to stand next to Harry. "Of course the other one was just a bonus." 

He glanced back at Raven.

Bonus? Raven questioned angrily.

Voldemort began to explain his tale of being bested by Harry Potter because of his mother's protection. He had to possess the body of Quirrell, and after his death, Voldemort began to lose hope until Wormtail arrived. Wormtail caught Voldemort up to speed on everything that was going on and used Bertha Jorkins to tell him about the Triwizard Tournament.

He then knew he had to use Dark Magic to revive himself. "I would need three powerful ingredients, and like a said, a bonus one if it came to me." Voldemort said. "One of them was already at hand, was it not, Wormtail? Flesh given by a servant...

"My father's bone, naturally, meant that we would have to come here, where he was buried. But the blood of a foe...Wormtail would have had me use any wizard, would you not, Wormtail? Any wizard who hated me...as so many of them still do. But I knew the one I must use, if I was to rise again, more powerful than I had been when I had fallen. I wanted Harry Potter's blood. I wanted the blood of the one who had stripped me of power thirteen years ago, for the lingering protection his mother once gave him, would then reside in my veins, too...

"As for our friend Raven here." Voldemort gestured to the boy on the ground. "Tears of a Pure-blood wizard. Surely I could've used any Pure-blood, but I needed it to be taken forcefully, and painfully, and what better candidate than that of a Mordecur, with an eye color so rare, that it would bring me back with greater success.

"But don't feel so disheartened, Raven." Voldemort said sincerely walking back over to him. "I didn't just use you for your tears...no," he got in Raven's face again, "like I said, I still have big plans for you."

Voldemort walked back over to Harry. "But how to get at them both?" He said. "For they have been better protected than I think they know. Protected in ways devised by Dumbledore for Harry here, and Raven constantly protected by his Auror mother and godfather. I could not touch them.

"I used Bertha Jorkin's information, of course. Use my one faithful Death Eater, stationed at Hogwarts, to ensure that the boys' names were entered into the Goblet of Fire. Use my Death Eater to ensure that at least Harry here survived, I wouldn't have minded if Raven had died during the tournament, but I suspected he'd also succeed in getting here.