Chapter 12 - Gladiators

Sloane

Every morning for the last few days I'm awoken by Isa bringing me fresh flowers for my vase. The sound of her coming into my room, switching out the flowers, opening the curtains—all reminds me of the hell I'm constantly waking up to.

"Good morning, Sloane." She's always so energetic in the morning. At the very least it soothes me. It reminds me of Kane—he was also a morning person. Granted his methods weren't as delicate.

Rise and shine, kids. Kane would sprinkle water on us. We're going to run two miles.

We haven't had breakfast, Joshua would groan.

Well don't pass out. Kane would pull the covers off our individual beds. If we were in sleeping bags, he would drag them away from our feet. Or Sloane is going to have to carry you the rest of the way.

Now I'm waking up to a cushy bed. With fluffy pillows. The first night I was able to fall asleep out of pure exhaustion and shock. Since then, I've tossed and turned. It's just so soft and not nearly as stiff to what I'm used to. It feels wrong. Even my wolf can't find comfort. She's constantly on overdrive now.

King Aiden hasn't really talked much since the other day in the library. I told him I like to be left alone and that's exactly what he's been doing. Leaving me alone. Except, every night he'll come into the library. Watching me idly from the counter where Joanna works.

Every time he walks into the library, I instantly feel...unsettled. My wolf angsty, my emotions a bit more difficult to control. I thought I was doing well keeping distance but even I can't deny that whenever the King is around there is a stupid pull. My wolf and I tugging it back like a terrible game of tug-of-war.

A part of me is surprised that the King hasn't tried speaking to me again. Then my wolf reminds me, You were a bit harsh you know.

I just can't be bothered to be around him, I tell her.

I know, Sloane. She sighs, But you need to at least act like you don't hate his guts.

I know she's right. I just don't have it in me. I've been focused on reading countless books and guess what? I've found nothing. You'd think they would have digitalized their library or something to make it easier to sift through information but I'm slowly exhausting myself with the reading.

I have had a chance of seeing Joanna's boys. They came running into the library one day asking for their mom. Joanna felt apologetic to me for having to whisk them away, but I told her that everything was fine. Offering her probably the sincerest side of me since I've arrived here. Being a mom is hard, I wonder how much more difficult it is when your Mate is the King's Beta.

"I'll be outside the door to take you to breakfast." Isa pulls me out of my thoughts.

I already know she's going to wait while I get dressed. It's bizarre to have someone constantly around. I truthfully hate it, but I can't show it. I need to reign back some of my aggression towards the castle...and the Crown. Or they really might start to suspect me.

I specifically choose clothing that isn't royal attire. Every day I've been missing my battle gear more and more. But if it's between choosing frilly dresses or flowing shirts, then I'd much rather opt for the jeans and a top. Isa did mention that there's a seamstress. I might reach out...a pair of leather pants might make me feel a bit more at home.

Ugh, Distaste hitting me. Did I seriously just say, 'home?'

My wolf chuckles, Careful or you might get attached.