Missed Opportunity

"Hey, baby. I'm home." Nico kissed Will as he made his way around the kitchen.

"Hello, my darling."  Will replied, half inside a the cabinet under the sink. "How was work?"

"The usual. Nothing remarkable but still good." Nico smiled and washed his hands. "How was your day off?"

"It was ok. Got some housework done." Will let out a long exhale from his nose, then stood back up with the air fryer in his arms.

"What's wrong?" Nico looked up to his husband.

"Nothing." Will turned and reached for the spices in the cabinet.

"You sighed." Nico grabbed some vegetables from the fridge to chop up with dinner.

"I didn't sigh."

"You totally just sighed. Look at me."

Will did, opening his eyes wide for emphasis. "Better?"

"You have sad eyes." Nico commented.

"I don't have sad eyes. You're seeing things." A faint smile played on his lips.

"You are the worst liar ever."

"You're actually hallucinating, babe." Will placed is arms on Nico's waist. "I think you should get your eyes checked."

"You're trying to distract me from your sad eyes."

"There's nothing in my eyes but love for you."

Nico raised an eyebrow.

Will sighed and lowered his head, leaning his forehead against Nico's. "You got me."

"I know you." Nico held Will's face in his hands. "What happened?"

"I didn't get the promotion."

"For the AP position?"

"Yeah. I didn't get it."

"Aw, baby. That sucks. I'm so sorry."

"It's ok. I was under qualified. The other applicants have a master's degree or higher in biology, so it only makes sense that they got it." Will shrugged.

"You major was in biology, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I it's just a bachelors degree that I needed to be in medicine. I'm better off with my pre-med class."

"I thought you loved your pre-med class."

"I do. I really do. I just hoped I would get the AP Biology position."

"I know, honey." Nico twirled a blond curl around his finger.

Will sighed. "At least my students will like me and not want to stab me during exam season."

Nico laughed. "Yeah, it would be very bad if you got stabbed."

"And I don't have to fly out to grade a ton of AP papers in the summertime."

"Exactly. You're stuck with me and are not allowed to leave." Nico smiled.

"I love being stuck with you." Will grinned.

"All the time?"

"I wish I could just glue you to me so we can be stuck together forever."

"Now you're just being weird."

"Maybe I can get one of those backpacks around with me and just carry you around." Will leaned in for a kiss.

Nico pulled away. "Now you're being creepy."

"You're hating on my master plan, Neeks. You have to respect the craft."

"My master plan is to have personal space."

"That's not what you acted like last night..."

Nico nudged his husband in the ribs.

Will laughed. "You love me."

"I do. And you love me." Nico said, very matter-of-factly.

"I do."

"Can we cook now?"

"You have to kiss me first." Will puckered his lips like a fish.

"But I'm hungry."

"Neeks..."

"Fine." Nico muttered and pulled Will closer to him, kissing him sweetly.

"Do we really have to cook, or can we just stay like this?" Will mumbled.

"We can stay like this."

"Fantastic."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WC: 555