Chapter 4 - A Unexpected Twist

It's been a couple days since the start of high school. I've been really enjoying my time at my new school. I got to know a lot of people, made more friends, and became quite popular, should I say so myself.

It was Friday morning, meaning the weekend was approaching at full speed. As usual, I was going to school with Yuki. We were casually talking about school matters, when Yuki started talking about the basketball club. Apparently, the tryouts were next Monday, which got Yuki fired up. She was part of our middle school's basketball club, and was often seen as the ace of that team. I had no doubts in my mind that she will pass the tryouts.

"Are you nervous?" I asked her nonetheless.

"Not really, I know that if I keep my cool, I'll play well and pass the tryouts."

"I figured you would say something like that."

"What about you, Kiyo? Is there anything interesting going on in your life?"

"That sounded like an insult you know. Are you saying I don't live an interesting life?"

"Hehe, not at all. In fact, I think you do live a pretty interesting life, wouldn't you say? You have become one of the most popular guys in the school!"

"I guess. Aren't you popular as well? I'm always seeing you talking to girls from every class. Well, to come back to your question, nothing unusual is going on. You know how it is."

"I see, well, that's good I guess. I know how you like to live a peaceful life."

"Yeah, I wouldn't mind if everything stayed like this."

"...Yeah."

Our conversation slowly died out as we approached the school. As usual, we changed our shoes at the entrance, but as I opened my shoe locker, something fell out. An enveloppe.

"What the hell?" I accidentally said out loud, gaining Yuki's attention.

"So you already got a love letter, huh?"

"Don't say that, I don't even know what's in this enveloppe yet."

"What else could it be? I mean look at the heart sticker on the enveloppe you moron!"

"Oh, you're right. I must've missed that."

Upon opening it, there it was. Written in a nice handwriting were the words: Meet me behind the gymnasium right after school.

"I don't know if it's a love letter or a threat..." I said, "Maybe someone is waiting to beat me up behind the gym."

"Are you serious? Nobody wants to beat you up, Kiyo. It's definitely a girl wanting to confess her love to you judging by that handwriting."

"You know a guy can also have nice handwriting, right? What makes you say it's a girl?"

"I don't know, instincts?"

"I suppose I'll trust your instincts, Yuki."

"Say Kiyo, if a girl confesses to you, would you accept her confession?"

"Depends on the girl, but I'll more than likely reject her. After all, I can't possibly go out with a girl I don't have feelings for."

"I see... then what if..."

"What if?"

"Nothing, let's get to class. Otherwise we'll be late!" she told me as I stuffed the letter into my bag.

Arriving in our classroom, we were quickly greeted by our classmates as we sat down at our respective seats.

Well, by we, I meant me. Yuki went over to Ichinose's table, where a few girls were chatting together.