Chapter 5 - An Interesting Encounter

Before I could fall asleep, my phone buzzed. Checking the notification, I realized it was a message from my manager at work, asking me if I could come to work tomorrow, which was a Saturday. Specifically he asked me if I could exchange my Wednesday afternoon shift with one of my coworkers' Saturday afternoon shift just for this upcoming week.

I didn't have any plans for Saturday afternoon, so I agreed. I also liked the idea of having a free afternoon on a weekday for once. It was a no-brainer.

With that I fell asleep and before I knew it, it was Saturday morning. I woke up at around 11 AM because yesterday was so exhausting. After fiddling with my phone for a bit, I got up and got out of my room, still more or less half-asleep.

As I let out a big yawn, I saw that there wasn't only Mom and Dad in the living room.

"Fufufu, good morning Kiyotaka, seems like you slept well."

"Good morning, Kiyotaka-kun."

I was greeted by not only my family, but the Sakayanagi family. It seems like they decided to have lunch together. This wasn't an uncommon situation, but it was rather unexpected since my parents never told me about this. It seems like this was organized at the last minute.

"Oh," is what I managed to say before composing myself, "Good morning Arisu, Oba-san, Oji-san. Good morning Mom and Dad. I didn't expect this massive meeting in our living room."

[A.N. : I'm not sure how you would address your friend's parents in Japanese. Correct me if I'm wrong!]

I was still in my pajamas and had bed hair, in short, I looked like a mess. This wasn't the first time this happened, so it wasn't a big deal. Our families were really close, the parents got along extremely well and Arisu is one of my best friends, therefore they weren't really bothered by my appearance.

"What made you wake up so late? Were you up playing games late at night again?" Mom asked me.

"No, Mom. I was just tired, a lot of things happened yesterday."

"Fufu, tell us all the details Kiyotaka," Arisu teased.

"Yeah, tell us!" Mom joined in.

Looking around the table, I feel like everyone was curious about yesterday's events. I internally sighed as I had no choice. I told them everything that happened, while leaving out a few details here and there to shorten the story.

"Wow, that's interesting," Arisu's mom was the first one to comment.

"Kiyotaka's quite the popular guy, so I'm not surprised these sort of things happen to him," Arisu said.

"I suppose a handsome young man like him is bound to be popular," her dad followed up.

"You know what they say, like father, like son," my dad joked.

"You weren't nearly as handsome as our Kiyo when you were his age!" Mom teased.

"Hey, that hurts!"

We continued talking for a bit before the parents started preparing lunch. Arisu sat on the sofa watching TV while I excused myself to go to the bathroom to do my morning routine and fix my messy appearance before lunch.

Coming back, I sat next to Arisu on the sofa as I saw she was watching a chess match.

"This guys sucks," she quietly muttered as she turned the TV off.

"He literally only played two moves," I said. Whatever, sometimes I don't get this girl.

"Anyways, how's your class?" I asked her, "Have you made any friends?"