Chapter 33 - Chanyeol POV: The Mole

This little establishment was small, dark, and smelled heavily of fire and musk, but the man standing behind the counter was rumored to be the best in Seoul. He stood firmly with his arms crossed, shaking his head with a vehement no. As if my instructions were so out of the realm of possibilities that he could not possibly comprehend. But this was not up for debate.

Wearing a bag on my back, I slung it over my shoulder and slammed it down the desk. The sound of zipping permeated across this tiny space before I pulled out a very unspecific wad of cash from inside and dumped it on the counter in front of him. It was a good thing that I foresaw the need for... additional means of persuasion to have this renowned kintsugi artist fix the mugs that I destroyed. And perhaps fix this broken relationship that I alone have destroyed. The artist's eyes momentarily strayed on the cash before slowly glancing up at me.

"You want it done by tomorrow morning?" he asked slowly, reiterating my earlier demand while I retrieved my bag and secured it once more. "No problem, no problem. No time is too short for this artist right here. I will see you bright and early."

He opened a draw below the cash register and used his entire forearm to brush the money inside, presumably claiming it before I could change my mind. I half wanted to scoff, and half wanted to chuckle. Deciding against neither, I bowed and gave into the slight grin making its way across my face. "Pleasure doing business with you."

Not waiting to receive his bow in response, I turned and headed straight for the door. It was almost claustrophobic being inside this tiny and peculiar space. By tomorrow, the mugs would be fixed and molded back together with gold just as Haneul had absentmindedly suggested. The thought of seeing his eyes water with happiness rather than sorrow or regret the moment I showed these to him tomorrow only further confirmed my decision.

Mr. Kim remained in the driver's seat of the work vehicle while I went inside, and though I could tell he was curious, I was not about to indulge him. The car was still running on idle, so he put it into reverse as we returned to the road and continued the journey to the airport. It was evident that Haneul was insecure about us going away together this weekend. I would have to call him, no, video call him regularly just to give him peace of mind. All I wanted was to reassure him that I would be home tomorrow, and he would be right back in my arms.

We reached the airport, but as opposed to opening the boot and climbing straight out of the car, Mr. Kim slowly and reluctantly pulled out a yellow paper folder out from the glove compartment. He placed it in his lap and glanced at me through the rearview mirror. Not just once, as his eyes flitted away momentarily when our eyes met through the reflection, but a few times before he started to try my patience.

"Did I forget something?" I asked, feeling irritated enough to snap at the slightest provocation. Now was not the time to deal with anything unnecessary. "Is it an important source document? Out with it."

"Sir," Mr. Kim said with slight indignation. "This is my official resignation."

"Right when you're about to advance to an executive position?" I asked, turning the paper in my hand as I studied it. "How peculiar. Nevertheless, it is your decision to leave if you should choose. I will process this when we return to the office."

"Sir, I won't be­­—"­ ­­

"Now is not the time," I said, glancing at my watch. I opened my suit coat and tucked it in an inner pocket compartment. "We will discuss this later. For now, let's get this over with."

Mr. Kim lowered his head but opened his door and hurried around to the boot. Even though his position included the responsibility of retrieving our bags from the boot, he was still considerably smaller than I, so I reached in and pulled them out myself. Just as I would not put the laborious tasks on Haneul, I could not in good conscience do so to Mr. Kim. Perhaps it was good that he was leaving the company completely, so I could no longer be burdened by these inner conflicts, and intrusive thoughts that constantly wondered what if.