chapter 20

a couple of weeks had passed since delia had talked to cole. delia and jack's schedules hadn't lined up until now. they facetimed when they could, but this wasn't something that should be handled over the phone. delia knew she was going to hate this conversation. she knew she was going to be awkward and emotional. she was just hoping that jack would understand what she was saying and would be willing to help her through this. delia was currently in jack's room on his bed, waiting for him to get out of the shower. he had just come back from practice and insisted on taking a shower before seeing her.

she heard the shower turn off and it was only a matter of time before jack would return. delia was staring to become anxious to the point where she started biting on one of her nails. suddenly, the door flew open to reveal jack fully clothed drying his hair.

"why are you biting your nail?" jack questioned, not breaking eye contact with the blonde.

delia immediately lowered her hand and said, "sorry, i didn't even realize i was doing that."

jack placed the towel back in the bathroom and sat next to delia on the bed. "hey, are you okay? you've seemed a bit out of it recently," jack genuinely asked. he was looking in her eyes, trying to figure out what she was thinking.

delia looked at her hands that were in her lap while responding, "there's been something that i've been meaning to talk to you about."

jack lifted her head up, "it's okay. tell me what's wrong."

she nearly broke right there and then. thankfully, she was able to keep her composure. delia answered, "i don't know what's going on, but things just don't feel right. things aren't like they used to be and i thought it was from the stress of meeting your family, but i'm starting to think it's not that. i mean, it's been two weeks and i still feel this way."

"what do you mean by things don't feel the same? have your feelings changed for me? how long have you been feeling this way for?" jack had crossed his arms over chest and delia could tell he was on the defense.

delia reassured him, "no! i love you, jack! i do. i just mean it feels like there's a barrier between us like we're disconnected. i don't know how else to explain it. i hadn't been feeling this way until a little before you told me i was meeting your parents. it's only gotten worse recently."

"did anything in particular happen to make this worse?" jack continued to ask questions.

delia furrowed her eyebrows, "no, i don't think so."

jack didn't say anything for a few minutes. delia could tell he was upset and trying to formulate his next words wisely. it had become clear to delia that his feelings about the situation were not mutual. he wasn't experiencing the same problems as her.

jack broke the silence and asked, "do you think we need to break up?"

"what?" delia was thrown off. she was hoping jack was going to come up with a better solution.

he repeated himself, "do you think it's best if we break up?"

immediately, delia responded, "i don't want to lose you, jack! you mean too much to me!" she could feel the tears forming in her eyes.

"delia, i understand that, but if you're feeling this way, i honestly don't know what i can do to fix that. i'm sorry if i did anything to unintentionally make you feel this way. i just don't know what i can do," jack confessed.

"this isn't your fault, you didn't do anything wrong. there's just something wrong with me," delia nearly cried.

jack pulled her into a hug, "hey, this isn't your fault. maybe some time away from each other is for the best. we can always get back together if it's meant to be. it's not fair to either one of us to stay in relationship if things aren't working."

at this point, tears were falling from delia's eyes. she couldn't hold them in any longer. "so is this it, then? we're breaking up?" delia asked but she already knew the answer. she pushed herself up back up to face jack.

jack wiped her tears and softly said, "for now. this doesn't mean it's for forever." delia sniffled and nodded her head. she couldn't stay here with jack after this talk. it would be too awkward and she knew it wouldn't be good for her.

delia stood up and announced, "okay, well i should get going. i'll catch a flight back to california. i should probably visit jamie." she grabbed her suitcase and headed towards the door.

before delia could open the door, jack swung her back around. "one more kiss before you go?" he asked. delia couldn't speak, she could only nod.

jack's lips met hers. the kiss was slow and passionate. it was like every emotion jack held for the girl was transferred into the kiss. when they broke away, jack whispered, "i guess, i'll see you around."

"yeah, i guess so," delia told him with sadness laced in her voice. she opened the door to leave. once she thought she was far away enough, she called her cousin. he picked up after a few rings.

"what's up, dels?" jamie happily answered.

delia completely broke and sobbed, "i think i just fucked up."