Lacrymosa

This story was inspired by the song, Lacrymosa by Evanescence. 

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Day 364  

I wasn't supposed to be, to breathe, to live. I had no mother, no father, no parents, no family, nothing related to me. The thing that bought me into this world was the breath of life.               

I'm not really sure about the exact moment I came to life but it was like a sudden clarity, a moment of enlightenment, an epiphany swept over me. I could not see yet and for a while, I kept on dancing, my limbs twirling off into the air. Then I opened my eyes in time to see my limbs like ribbons spin together to form more intricate forms from the wisps of grey. 

After the transformation, I began to become more solid and less elusive. I looked down at my new greyish pale hands in wonder, my mouth slightly agape. From dust, people come however for I, it was from smoke, I came and smoke, I will return.

I should have known it right away that since I wasn't supposed to live, there was a price, they gave me a price. A price that would change my life, my choices, simply everything.

I had thought naively that I would have a long prosperous life like most humans did, how wrong I realized when I perished after a year of living. Millions of lifetimes with decades of wait between was my fate. Lives all too short, only 3 153 600 seconds, only 525 600 minutes, only 8760 hours, only 365--sometimes 366--only forty eight weeks, only twelve months but it all boiled down to just one year.

This really wasn't so bad until I met him, the one who bought some meaning into my life, the one who bought all the meaning into my life. 

I was whirling, twirling, moving, trying to dance as beautifully, as elusive, as mysterious, as flexible as I had in my past form, when I was smoke. The other girls moved as I did, with no boundaries, their layered skirts of dark colours and pastels whipping around them, their long wild hair streaming behind them. I moved quickly as if in a desperate trance, chasing something that only I could see and I was, the object of my desire was joy. 

I spun one last time, descending dramatically to the floor. My right leg stretched up in front of me, toe pointed and moved clockwise in a wide semi circle behind myself. Simultaneously, my left knee bent, lowering me even more. I tucked my left arm behind my back and raised my right hand delicately. 

My right leg still moving had finally reached where the eight on a clock would be, I carefully shifted my weight to it, and slowly stretched up my left leg, toe pointed. During this, my right arm was still raised as if offering it to someone and my face was close, my lips just an inch away from kissing my knee. My right leg was folded underneath me quite like a pretzel.

My falling strands of strawberry blond hair were the last sight before I slowly closed my eyes as to mark the ending of the dance, the evanescence of the slight joy, the slight sparkle I had gotten during the dancing. All over, you just know it like that, it's so final. It's like hearing the sound of a coffin closing after placing the corpse in it, almost thinking that it might rattle and knock violently to get out, but it doesn't, all you get is a mere silence. I had just finished the Soul's Curtsy, an elegant move created by Heather Dixon. 

Suddenly, the warm sensation of a kiss met the paper like skin of my right hand, I froze stiffly. My eyes fluttered open abruptly seeing first the grey cobblestones, I raised my head to see the person connected to the kiss.