31

Selfishness

In this life, it's either you save your hard-earned reputation as a Dela Vega and not be a disgrace; or you risk it all... be selfish and save yourself.

As a Dela Vega, I am expected to be the best, of a caliber, and a leader. Not only because I'm an only child, but because I have a reputable family origin.

Ever since high school, I already started working in our company. The Dela Vega Group has already established an image in the Architecture and Design industry. It has nothing more to prove. 

Many have witnessed my service since then and everyone have high expectations of me. It never really pressured me in any way... It's just that over time, I was becoming eager to make my parents proud of me. They never had big problems with work or in their relationship as a husband and wife... and I refuse to be one. Ayaw kong maging problema nila ako kaya I always thrive to be perfect. A perfect son to them.

"As expected, your son is very brilliant! He would be great in this field one day. I'm very sure, everyone would be desperate for his services!"

I was in dad's office when his old friend gave him a visit. He made me sit with them and we were able to talk about architecture. It was of course an interesting topic to me so I was very active in giving insights and ideas in the whole course of the conversation.

"I know," my dad chuckled. Napangiti ako. "He's always been and I'm very proud of that."

Mr. Santos saw my designs and projects for our campus exhibit being featured on the newspapers. He read my surname and he tried his luck by asking my father if I am in some way related to him. Luckily enough, I am and so here he is for some offer.

The conversation went on until Mr. Santos invited me to be a speaker in a campus event. He's a graduate of Architecture but he is also a teacher in Philippine Science High School-Main! I was overwhelmed to be invited in their career program event for their students kaya pumayag din ako kaagad.

I got so excited. I came there prepared with my speech and presentation. 

"So you are still in second year?" Gulat na tanong ng Senior High School chairman nang maglunch kami sa faculty office.

"Yes, sir."

Manghang-mangha ito. He was telling me na malayo ang mararating ko. I've heard it a lot but it still overwhelms me at times how people can be so sure of my success. It was as if they can see my bright future right before their eyes.

I was asked to speak in front of Grade 12 STEM students. They were very different from other schools, I've observed. The way they asked me questions made me wonder how much IQ they have cause they are a bunch of intelligent individuals gathered in one campus. It was so amazing that I got to meet these people as I could also learn something new from them by just listening to their critical question and insights.

We had so much fun that everyone lost track of time. Hapon na nga nang matapos kami.

"Sir, can I email you when I have questions about certain things?" 

Sinabayan ako palabas ng ilang students na kasali sa event kanina. They are aspiring architects, too. Mr. Santos wanted to escort me out but I assured him that I'll be fine and I wanted to entertain these students, too.

"Sure," I took my wallet and gave him my business card. "Any time."

Tuwang tuwa ang mga ito at paulit ulit na nagpasalamat.

"Bro, picturean mo nalang mamaya," anito sa inakbayang lalaki. Tamad lamang itong tumango dahil panay check sa phone.

"Sir, pwede po ba mag-apply sa company ninyo pag internship ko na?"