Chapter Thirty-Two: Theft (Part I)

"To hurt is as human as to breathe." 

-J. K. Rowling "The Tales of Beedle the Bard"  

***

Chapter Thirty-Two: Theft (Part I)

Dust motes floated about the morning air, filtering into the chamber like dandelions dancing to the wind. The parapets glinted like a million diamonds.

Cady wondered where she was and why her head hurt so badly. She tried to recall, but everything was a complete blur.

Her fingers gingerly prodded the sore area on her head, resulting in a sharp pang of pain. She winced. She must had fallen down the stairs and hit her head, which explained the–

Riley. Felix.

For that brief moment a tornado erupted within her.

Felix had lured her down here with Josh as an excuse. Riley had knocked her unconscious.

Every inch of her body screamed as she struggled to her feet.

It was unusually quiet down the Hall Museum. Something was off. Cady could feel it. There should be the luring song of the Fair Necklace, keen on betraying her true heritage to the whole of Esvanira.

Her eyes trained upon the massive glass box housing the Fair Necklace. The gilded gold stand was still there, erect and tall. But the precious, diamond inlaid necklace was gone.

Panic rose as she rubbed her eyes for double confirmation.

The Fair Necklace was gone.

Cady knew she had to bail. The guards would be down the dungeons any minute if Felix had left the metal gates unlocked. All suspicions of the outrageous theft would fall on her—and she would be dead.

Luckily for Cady, her backpack was still intact. She still had a slim chance of escape.

As predicted, the chamber doors were unlocked. Cady slunk out of the Hall museum with careful ease, keeping her footsteps as light as possible.

The morning sun blinded her as she emerged from the tunnel.

Before her eyes could acclimate themselves, a pair of strong arms flew out and caught Cady by the neck, strangling her.

"What are you doing in the dungeons?" an unpleasant voice demanded. Cady felt the pressure against her throat increase. She choked.

"Nothing! I swear that this was all a misunderstanding!" Cady hated how whiny and weak her voice sounded, but there was nothing she could do.

"Where did you get the keys?" Master Lorcan growled. "Someone reported a break in down the dungeons not too long ago. Only the High Priestess and the High Priest-in-training possess the keys to the dungeons. How did you steal them?"

"I didn't!" Cady bit down a curse as she struggled against Master Lorcan's vice-like grip. "Let me explain!"

Master Lorcan didn't say anything. He wrenched Cady's backpack with such tremendous force, the fabric ripped and all contents fell to the floor.

Clothes and a Celestial Blade piled up before them. Cady turned her nose up at Master Lorcan, her eyes blazing in defiance—she was innocent.

Master Lorcan gasped as a sudden metallic 'clink' sounded, harsh and clear against the asphalt floor. Cady's eyes widened in disbelief at the key that lay glinting in the sun.