Chapter Six: Malicious Means

"Nothing is ever certain."

-Alice Sebold, "The Lovely Bones"

***

Chapter Six : Malicious Means

"Firaun Strauss?" Cady cried. "What are you doing in my house? And get your hands off my brother!"

The wizard's lips twitched. "Your brother isn't human. We're here to take him away."

"Are you blind?" Cady seethed. "Let my brother go!"

Cady threw herself at Firaun. The wizard rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers. An invisible force suddenly dragged Cady backwards, pinning her against the wall. She tried to move, but the force had held her down fast.

"Let me go!"

"I'm sorry, my dear. Your brother here–" He gestured at Josh as if he was a monster. "–saw things he shouldn't have."

"You can't blame him. There were shadows in your freaking tent!" she screamed at the top of her voice, hoping to draw her father's attention.

"Exactly." The silver-headed wizard nodded at his men to blindfold Josh and drag him toward the door.

"Where are you taking him?" Cady demanded. "This is a free country. And...and... our dad is a cop!"

Firaun ignored Cady as he swept across the kitchen. He sat down on the kitchen stool and clicked his fingers. White rags materialized out of nowhere and gagged her.

"My sweet, you talk too much." Firaun kicked at a discarded bottle. "As far as I know, I am not from your free country and cops don't worry me at all. I am taking him to the Hall of Games."

"You're not taking him anywhere."

Cady glanced up in relief at the firm, familiar voice. Her father made his entrance and drew his pistol. He aimed the gun at the wizard, his hand firm and steady. His jade eyes held no mercy, and she knew her father wouldn't hesitate to kill Firaun if he tried to leave with Josh.

"Release my son."

Sneering, Firaun raised his arms in mock surrender. "Humans, you're all so predictable. Do you really believe that little toy will have any effect on me?"

It was her father's turn to laugh. "I know exactly what you are. Now let my son go." When Firaun failed to move, her father fired a warning shot into the air, blasting a hole clean through the ceiling. Cady screamed as bits of plaster rained down like snow.

"Big words for a human." Firaun strolled toward her father as if he was taking a walk in a park. "Then tell me, what is our kind?"

"The name is Van." His anger rumbled in his throat. "You're Firaun Strauss, Head Keeper of Esvanira and High Priest-in-training of the Hall of Games."

At her father's words, the cold demeanor of the wizard slipped. However, he covered it up with a cold laugh. "Ah, maybe you should pay the Hall of Games a visit too. Our High Priestess would be very interested in squeezing information out of you." Firaun released the spell holding Cady captive. She tore off the rags at once, spitting the bitter taste from her mouth.

"Stay away from him!"

Cady paid no heed to her father's warning. She was going to free her brother–no matter what.

Firaun rolled his eyes in exasperation. "Your family is incredibly annoying, you know that?"

"Nobody is leaving this house today," Cady's father snarled and he pulled the trigger.