Chapter Twenty-One: A Darker Power

"Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides." 

-André Malraux-

***

Chapter Twenty-One: A Darker Power

Cady's heart pounded wildly as she ascended the marble stairs to the Training Hall. She wasn't ready to face Firaun, not after what happened the other night. The Star-related side screamed to be released, but the introverted side of her wanted to run in the opposite direction.

The doors of the hall were unlocked. Extending her hand toward the doorknob, she paused. The entire structure was dusty and coated in a layer of filth. Something was amiss. Why would Firaun conduct their first lesson within an abandoned Training Hall?

Slipping her hands over the cool handle, she applied a light pressure and the door swung open.

The entire chamber resembled Master Lorcan's Training Hall, only dustier. A large, ornate chandelier in the shape of an inverted angel dangled from the ceiling, its tangled wings riddled with orange Celeslights. Wooden beams spanned across the mosaic pressed ceiling, holding up the gigantic structure.

Standing in the middle of the room with his back against Cady was Firaun. His usual slick silver hair was ruffled and untidy. He was covered in a thin sheen of sweat, like he had been working out before she even arrived. Curled within those slim fingers of his was a beautiful long sword, gleaming under the tangerine lights.

Cady's eyes widened when she realized he didn't have a shirt on, leaving his lean, muscular back exposed to her.

Tattoos. Beautiful, whimsical tattoos curved up like new cherry blossoms from the bottom of his spine and extended toward his shoulder blades. Cady couldn't help but to sigh in admiration. She had never imagined Star-given tattoos to be so—breathtaking.

At the slight sound, Firaun spun around and frowned. He grabbed his discarded shirt by the side and pulled it over his head.

"You're late," said Firaun.

"No, I am not. I came here five minutes earlier than expected," Cady snapped, already irritated. The serene feeling the tattoos gave her had vanished into thin air.

"One day, that sharp tongue of yours will be your downfall. And you'll be crawling back to me, asking for help," Firaun turned around, unaffected by Cady's retort.

Cady opened her mouth to snap back but Firaun suddenly hurled something at her. Seized by adrenaline, she ducked out of the way. The weapon lodged itself upon the dark wood inches above Cady's head, its hilt wobbling like a mocking finger.

"Nice reflexes, even for a Rookie," Firaun observed.

Cady's blood boiled like acid within her.

"You could've killed me," she thundered.

"But I didn't. That's the important point," said Firaun, his eyes flashing dangerously—a silent warning for Cady to hold her tongue. "Come now, I don't have all day."

Gritting her teeth in frustration, she strode over to Firaun's side in large strides. The High Priest-in-training had a great variety of assorted items prepared next to him, but none of them seemed like weapons.

"Are we sparring today?" Cady ran her eyes down the many objects.

Firaun shook his head. "No. I'll be teaching you the basics, things you must know about battles and the creatures out there."