Chapter Thirty: Inner Shadows

The purpose of this life, seems like an illusion!"   

-Mehek Bassi-

***

Chapter Thirty: Inner Shadows

Cady slammed the book shut.

Josh.

His was crossed out from the Hall of Games. The last time she heard from him was the news of a field trip. But, that didn't explain his elimination from the list of Starlings. The Hall of Games was supposed to be the safe haven for Starlings, their sacred sanctuary.

But, what was this?

She departed Firaun's office. With her back hard against the wall, she slid down and realized that her hands were shaking.

Where is my brother?

All this time, she assumed her brother was safe and happy within the Hall of Games. But now, she realized the great walls of magic and stone hid a secret deadlier than expected. And indeed, everything was a game—a game that threw her entire world into chaos the moment Firaun turned up at her doorstep.

Cady wanted to hit herself. Why didn't I suspect anything even after all the weeks here in the Hall?

Cady barged back into the room and grabbed the heavy volume. The book felt like lead. Carrying it like a trophy, she headed toward Mistress Tucana's office and banged on the door.

Silence greeted her.

Unwilling to give up, she hammered furiously at the steel doors.

The door swung wide open and a pair of icy blue eyes drilled into Cady's.

"You!" Both Cady and Firaun snarled. "What are you doing here?!"

With all her strength, Cady barreled into Firaun's stomach, catching him off guard. He stumbled backwards into a vase which shattered, its sharp shards cutting into his flesh.

"Oi! What do you think you're doing?" Firaun leaped to his feet, ignoring the multiple bleeding cuts on his palms.

"Same goes to you!" Cady shoved the thick book into Firaun's chest. "You stole this from Mistress Tucana and now you're in her office!"

At first, Firaun looked dumbfounded, but it melted away into fury.

"Who gave you permission to enter my chambers?"

"And who gave you the permission to wipe my brother out from the Hall of Games?" Cady shot back, her eyes blazing.

"I did not!" Firaun half-shouted. "Your brother has nothing to do with me. The both of you are just outcasts who happened to possess magic. Do you think I even care?"

Firaun's words hurt like a flaming sword through the heart, but she held her ground. She swung a punch at Firaun. "You liar!"

He caught her fist easily. "I have no idea what you are talking about, Cady Gates. I have no time for your games."

"The only person playing games here is you." Cady grounded out and tried delivering another punch. "You crossed out my brother's name from the list. What did you do to Josh?"

"I did nothing!" Firaun cried out in exasperation. "Why are you so keen on ratting out something non-existent?"

"Non-existent?" Cady's blood pounded against her ears. "Non-existent? Then care to explain why someone removed Josh's name from the list of Starlings? And why didn't he make an entrance at all? And also, why is that book doing in your office?"