Chapter 8

The Body

~

"Let's hurry this up please," Anne tells the boys as she stood above them holding a flashlight.

"This is taking way too long," Scott tells Stiles.

"Just keep going," Stiles nudges him to keep digging.

"What if he comes back?" Scott asks

"Then we get the fuck out of here," Anne tells him.

"What if he catches us?" Scott asks again.

"I have a plan for that," Stiles tries to reassure him.

"Which is?" Scott asks.

"You run one way we run another, whoever he catches too bad," Stiles tells him.

"Yea I hate that plan," Anne tells them.

"Same," Scott tells his friend.

"Oh stop, stop," Stiles says as a thud is heard indicating they hit something. The two bend down in the grave trying to untie the rope.

"Hurry up," Anne urges them.

"I would if he didn't tie it in 900 knots," Stiles says

"I'll do it," Scott tells him.

"What is it?" Anne asks her back turned to the boys as she looked out for Derek.

"It's a wolf..." Scott says.

"Yea, but I thought you said you smelled blood as in human blood," Stiles tells him confused, and slightly irritated.

"I told you something was different," Scott tells him.

"We gotta get out of here," Anne tells the two.

"Ok here help me cover this," Stiles tells Scott.

"What? What's wrong?" the boys ask Anne.

"Do you see that flower?" She asks tilting her head slightly and looking at it as if it was familiar.

"What flow- what about it?" Scott asks seeing the tall purple-looking flower.

"I think it's wolfbane?" She says.

"What's that?" Scott asks.

"Uh, haven't you ever seen the wolfman?" Stiles asks his friend.

"No?" Scott shakes his head.

"Lon Chaney, Junior? Claude Rains?" Stiles asks again.

"No," Scott answers again becoming annoyed.

"The original, classic Werewolf movie?" Stiles asks... again.

"No!" Scott snaps at him annoyed.

"You are so unprepared for this," Stiles tells him, pulling himself out of the hole and walking over to the flower. He pulls at the flower to find rope attached to it as he starts pulling it up.

"Uh, Stiles?" Scott calls over to his friend.

"What- oh!" Stiles jumps to see the once-dead wolf corpse is now the other half of the female body found earlier this week.

~

"Have you guys ever heard of sleep?" Anne mumbles as she leans against the jeep as they were parked on the edge of the Hale property this time with the sheriff and officers.

Scott watches as officers walk Derek out of the Hale house into the back of a cruiser.

"No.." Scott mutters as Stiles sneaks off into the front seat of the car Derek was placed into.

"Oh god," Scott mumbles watching Stiles.

"What?" Anne asks looking up to see what Scott had been mumbling about, "well fuck," she mutters putting her head back in her hands.

"Ow ow ow," Anne picks her head up hearing Stiles and watching as the sheriff pulls his son out of the cruiser.

"He's in trouble~" Anne giggled at herself looking at Scott who seemed distracted by something else.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Sheriff scolds his son.

"I'm just trying to help," Stiles tells his dad.

"Okay, well, how 'bout you help me understand exactly how you came upon this?" The widowed dad asks his son.

"... we were looking for Scott's inhaler..." Stiles tells his father trying to talk his way out of getting in trouble.

"Which he dropped when?" He asks impatiently.

"The other night," the son told him hesitantly.

"The other night.. when you were out looking for the other half of the body?" Sheriff asks.

"Yes," Stiles told him.

"The night you told me just you and Anne were out and Scott was home?" he asks for clarification.

"Yes," Stiles says without skipping a beat only to cringe realizing what he admitted, "...no."

"crap..." Stiles mutters realizing he's been caught.

"So, you lied to me?" his dad asks him.

"That depends on how you define 'lying'..." Stiles hesitates.

"Well I define it as 'not telling the truth' How do you define it?" the sheriff asks his son.

"uhm... reclining in a horizontal position?" Stiles says motioning with his hands.

"Get the hell out of here," He tells his son now irritated and done with the conversation.

"Absolutely," He tells his dad rushing to get out of the conversation before his dad could change his mind.

~

"So is he playing?" Anne asks Stiles as he exited the locker room a couple of seconds after Scott.

"Yep," Stiles tells her watching his friend walk away from the two.

~

"Hey kids," Sheriff Stilinski says greeting the two friends sitting together on the bench watching Scott intensely as the game goes.

"Hey," Stiles says to his dad not taking his eyes off the field

"Hi Sheriff," Anne says smiling at the man.

"So, you think you'll see any action tonight?" The dad asks turning his attention to his son.

"Action? Maybe," Stiles says more to himself than his dad.

~

"They're completely ignoring him," Anne tells the buzzcut boy next to her.

"Oh god," Stiles mumbles to himself watching his teammates avoid passing to Scott. The two sat anxiously watching the game play out.

~

"Oh my god!" Anne shouts grabbing Stiles's arm as Scott caught the ball and made a goal.

"Yes!!" Melissa could be heard cheering on her son, along with the rest of the crowd.

"Yes! That's what I-" Stiles joins in as Scott continues his amazing plays.

"McCall. Pass it to McCall!" Coach yelled at the team running around the field.

"YES! LET'S GO!!" The teens shout cheering their friend on as he shoots the winning goals.

"Dad? Dad, what's wrong?" Stiles asks turning to see his dad on the phone and a concerned expression.

________

Word Count 979