Part 34

Archer's POV

"-and this is the pool, there is a restroom through there that doubles as a changing room sort of thing. Plus next to that is a steam room. The pool is heated and is twenty by forty so nice and big for Miss AJ to swim her laps whenever she likes" Beth, the lady Mama said was a realtor, said as she pointed at different things around the room. We are still at the first house and as nice as it is, which is super nice, I just don't think I like it. In all honesty, I still don't really understand why we are house hunting, I like Mama's apartment, but she said I deserved a real home. Why doesn't she understand that she is my home? I have never stayed anywhere longer than six months, home is not a concept of a location, somewhere to sleep. For me home has always been a person, and it used to be Daddy. I used to spend all my time away from home and didn't mind because I was used to it. Now the idea of being away from home terrifies me. I never want to be away from Mama ever.

"Yo, AJ, are you listening to me?" Hunter asked, his hand waving in front of my face but not touching me, guess he learnt his lesson last night. Either that or he is too exhausted from our workout this morning to lift his arms, which is a real possibility, I don't think he was prepared for how much I do. Either way, I slap his hand away from my face as I turn away from the pool, which I had apparently been staring at, to look at him. "What?" I ask, blinking slightly to focus back on everything else. I am trying my best to not be a twitching mess right now, not wanting Beth to judge me or to reflect badly on Mama, and a result of that is my thoughts are moving at a billion miles an hour. "Hey, Archer?" Mama buts in, holding her hand out for me which I happily ran towards.

As soon as our hands met Mama pulled me into a tight hug, her spare hand pushing some of my hair out of my face "I don't think this is the one, do you?" She asked quietly, making me hum in agreement. I'm glad she didn't like this one because I don't really want to tell her I dislike one in case she does like it. If Mama likes one I am positive I will love it. "How about we go and look at the next place and then we can get some lunch?" Mama offered, making me hum again as I keep my face buried into Mama's stomach. She is always so calm and I could really use some calm right now. "Come on then, let's go. The next place is about ten minutes away, how about you and I walk there and Hunter can drive the car around? That way we can walk some energy off just us two. I missed working out with you this morning so this can make up for that, huh?" She offers, tilting my head up slightly so that I am now looking up at her, a calming smile painted on her lips as I nod in agreement. "Hunter, can you drive Beth in my car to the next place? Archer and I will meet you there" Mama yelled, throwing her keys at Hunter with a laugh before leading me out of the house and down the street.

It's a nice day here in New York, Mama had warned me that it might be cold and rainy, which is nothing new after spending time in England, but it's actually pretty warm. I like the warmth, it feels familiar, since most of the bases, bar England obviously, were warm. "Archer, can you stick this cap on please?" Mama asked, pulling a hat from her bag, I wonder what else she has in there. "No thanks" I mumble back, more interested in the Leonberger up ahead. It is massive and super fluffy and I bet it would feel really nice to cuddle with. I love dogs. When we were in Hati Tiger used to let me hang out with the dog handlers sometimes and they used to let me help train the dogs from time to time as long as I focused and listened to all the orders I was given. That was one of my favourite bases. "Yes please, it is sunny out and I don't want you to get sunstroke, plus now that Antman is out people know who you are and I know you would not like to be surrounded by paparazzi right now. So please put it on, look I have mine on" Mama tried again, slipping the black cap on my head despite me shaking my head in protest. "See, all better and nothing bad happened" Mama teased, pulling the front of my cap down slightly as she made a funny face at me, making me laugh despite being unhappy about the hat now on my head.