Chapter 57

"Executed?" Catherina gasped.

"What about Emma? Is she not getting executed?" Callahan glared.

Raphael shook his head.

"The empress, Dorothea, insisted that Emma will not be executed because she will remain in prison her whole life and be tortured as a form of punishment. It's worse than execution."

"Execution through guillotine is for the empress dowager, because she is a noble. Whereas the witch's execution will be in a form of fire. She will be burnt." He added.

"Oh..."

The punishment was too fast that it felt a bit weird to her.

"We will finally have our justice." Raphael smiled at her.

Whatever makes her family happy, it will be the same for her.

"Mhm. I'm glad it's finally ending." Catherina nodded with a soft smile.

...

*Knock* *Knock*

Catherina glanced at the balcony windows. The knocking came from there.

She opened the curtains and when she did, she saw Owen standing outside the windows.

She chuckled when she saw him.

He could easily teleport inside her room but still, he chose to do that.

*Creak*

"Why are you outside? Come in." She beckoned.

Suddenly, Owen hugged her.

"Hm?? Is something wrong?" She asked.

"I remember that time when I came here. The night before I was taken to the palace when I was eighteen."

"???"

"You were sixteen. And that time, I told you that I had something important to tell you."

"Oh yeah. I was really curious about that. I wondered all night what it was you wanted to say and I waited for you all month." She chuckled dryly.

"Rina, I love you."

"Owen?"

"If that time I didn't get to relay my words properly, then from now on, I want to say it to you everyday." He kissed her forehead. "I love you, always and forever."

Catherina looked at him with seriousness.

"Is something wrong?"

"???"

"Don't tell me- Are you perhaps dying?"

Catherina felt that something was wrong.

She noticed that every word that came out of his mouth was too sweet and caring. Like it came from someone who's going to die very soon.

"What?" Owen was dumbfounded.

"It's strange.. A few days ago, you talked about what you would do if you knew you only had a few days to live. And now too-"

"Pft- haha!"

"?!?"

She was shocked when he saw him suddenly laughing.

"Oh no, I'm sorry." He hugged her. "I'm not dying, Rina. Did you think I will die now that you're alive? I still want to be with you for a long time." He happily showed off a toothy grin.

"What... So there's really nothing wrong?? You don't have a disease?"

"Absolutely not."

"Thank goodness." She sighed in relief.