Chapter 24

The sun had already long set from the time that Catherina drank tea.

She was currently inside her room, sitting on her bed while reading the letters that Owen gave, which she collected from the past few years.

[I miss you, Rina.

-Owen]

'Geez.' She chuckled a bit.

Since the her debut, she didn't see Owen in person again. In order to ease her yearning, she just read the letters he gave to her.

"Hahh.. I wonder where he is." Catherina sighed in wonder as she lied on the bed.

*Knock* *Knock*

"Hm?"

The knocking sound came from the window in the balcony.

Catherina got up from her bed and slowly strode towards the balcony window.

She carefully opened the curtains and what greeted her sight brought her eyes with surprise.

"Owen?!"

Moonlight landed on his skyblue hair and she knows whom those jewel-like eyes belonged.

Owen nodded. He smiled at her and mouthed;

"I missed you."

"H-Huh?" Blush crept up in her cheeks.

Catherina got flustered. She wondered if her interpretation of Owen's words were correct or not.

She then realized that it was impolite making Owen stand outside for too long.

*Swoosh*

She opened the sliding door and uttered an apology. "Sorry for making you stand—!?"

Catherina was started when Owen gave ber an abrupt hug.

"I really missed you." Owen muttered as he hugged her tighter.

*Thump* *Thump* *Thump*

Catherina's heartbeat was a mess. She wondered if the loud heartbeat truly came from her but it seemed like Owen was the same.

"I- I, missed you too." Catherina hugged Owen back as she responded.

There was no lie in her answer, only real and true feelings.

Catherina wanted to retreat from the hug but Owen was stubborn in letting her go.

"Owen?" Catherina stroked his hair. "Are you alright?" She worriedly asked.

"Mhm."

*Rustle*

Suddenly out of nowhere, a rustle was heard from outside. It came from the trees.

"What was that?"

Owen noticed something. He felt someone's presence for a moment.

He gave Catherina a reassuring look and pecked her forehead.

"Rest for now. Next time, I have something to tell you."

"What? Oh, okay." Catherina was taken aback of the kiss.

"Goodnight, Rina."

"You too, Owen." She waved him goodbye.

With that, Owen left.

Catherina went inside her room and closed the balcony door.

"!!!!"

"What was that..?" Catherina touched her forehead as she recalled Owen's action earlier.

Sure, she was used in kinship especially from her family.

But it was different when it comes to Owen.

"Next time, I have something to tell you."

Catherina felt hotness in her face.

"Really..."

*Drip*

There was something wet that dripped out of her nose.

"Huh?"

She looked at her fingers and saw blood pasted on it.

'Nosebleed?'

Catherina immediately took a handkerchief and wiped her nose.

'I must've been too flustered earlier.' She quietly thought as she calmed herself down.

"My lady?" Emma knocked twice before entering her room.

"Oh, Emma."

Emma saw Catherina covering her nose with a cloth. And there was blood on it.

"A-Are you alright? My lady?" She asked whilst feeling a gush of guilt.

'Is it starting early?' Emma's hands trembled a bit.

"Ah, this? It's nothing. I got too flustered earlier." Catherina blushed.

"O-Oh... I see."

"Emma, about the tea you made earlier."

"Yes?!"

"It was lovely. I hope you continue to make it for me. Is it alright?"

"O-Of course, my lady. It's a pleasure." Emma bowed.

"Thank you."

..

***

..

"Show yourself." Owen uttered as he instantly disappeared from Catherina's sight.

Earlier, he heard a rustle from outside Rina's room.

He knew that someone was tailing him.

"Owen." A man stated.

"What are you doing here?" Owen spoke, seeing a familiar face.

"Her majesty needs you." Ash calmly muttered.

Aside from Owen, there was another person which the empress bought in an auction. And that was Ash.

Trained since a kid to become a skilled assassin, he vowed to serve the empress to pay the debt he had towards her.

"You're still serving her? Forget it. I'm not coming back to that place. I'm a free man."

"I see."

"!!!"

Ash speedily sprinted towards Owen and pointed a dagger his neck. But it was blocked by Owen's magic.

"Ha, magic." Ash gritted his teeth.

"Leave. Tell the empress that I don't want anything to do with her anymore." Owen said as he pushed Ash harshly towards a tree using magic

"Ahck-!"

Once Owen started to walk away from him, suddenly, he staggered along the way.

'What?'

His vision was all blurry and his head was dizzy. He couldn't breathe properly and his chest was aching.

Ever since childhood, he didn't experience something like this.

But there was one time that he almost died because of a certain thing.

"Wolf's...bane. Keughk—"

"The empress knew that you'll decline. That's why I had to do this." Ash said as he stood up.

Owen was allergic to wolfsbane. Actually, it is human poison.

But to Owen, if he breathes in at least a scent of it, he would collapse few minutes later. Direct consumption would cause him to die. Even magic can't help him if that were to happen.

"I'm sorry, Owen."

"F'cking bas... tard."

*Thud*

Owen helplessly collapsed on the ground.

Ash carried his body like a sack and returned to the empress's palace.

..