Chapter Twenty-Six

Mrs Kim lingered in the kitchen as she watched the two boys dragging out their goodbyes in the doorway.

The pink-haired boy wrapped his arms around the blonde's neck, smiling softly as he trailed his fingers through the honey-coloured hair, quietly reassuring the elder that they would see each other again.

She knew Yoongi found separating from the younger boy extremely difficult. Fear and trauma were behind that, so sometimes, it took longer than necessary to part ways.

Jimin knew that too, so it was customary for the pair to exchange an item of clothing, almost like a comforter. That meant when the older boy finally closed the front door and traipsed toward the kitchen barefoot, he wore a new white hoodie with a checkered black hood and sleeves.

The blonde always looked anxious in the following hours after the pink boy left, so the woman checked in, so he didn't feel too lonely regularly.

"Good morning," Mrs Kim chirped, watching Yoongi as he headed straight for the coffee jar and the mug he used every morning.

It was good to see that he finally felt comfortable enough to help himself and found a little routine within the house. "Morning."

He replied in a low voice without looking up. That was normal after the younger left; the older boy always came off cold until he warmed up again. And with how rough he felt yesterday, a little distance was expected.

The blonde placed his coffee on the table and sat down, shuffling and pulling the baggy sleeves down over his hands, vacantly staring into the mug until Mrs Kim placed something beside him.

"I bought them especially for you this morning, but you better save some for Jin. They are his favourite." She said as Yoongi side-eyed her and then picked up the tray of muffins, studying them before putting them down again, pulling one out as he glanced at the white envelope beside him.

Mrs Kim had tactfully hidden it under the tray. And instead of addressing her foster child and telling him what was in the envelope, she cleaned the countertop, ignoring how he looked up at her in confusion.

He wanted to know, but didn't want to ask. So after a bit of mental psyching, Yoongi picked up the envelope and peered inside, expecting to see anything but the palm-sized, navy blue card that tumbled out and landed in front of him.

For the longest time, the blonde eyed the card with suspicion, his stomach flipping and turning, his skin prickling with tiny goosebumps as he prodded it with one finger as if it would bite him.

"Why?" Yoongi questioned, pushing the item away slightly as he moved the chair back, trying to put space between him and the table. "Why are you giving me this?"

Why did they do anything for him when nobody else would?

In seven years, there had never been a family more generous and selfless. They gave so much to him in the space of a few weeks but expected nothing back; they treated him like part of their family even when he resisted.

Yoongi didn't understand anything anymore.

"Honey, it's just a bank card," Mrs Kim replied, watching how he avoided it like it was dangerous. "It's just money."

It was something he'd never been given before. Access to money whenever he wanted or needed it?

That had never happened in his life.

Before the Kims, the only time Yoongi lay hands on money was when he was lucky enough to find notes on the street or managed to grab whatever littered the house he lived in at the time.

An adult never gave it to him; he wasn't allowed to buy things. That was a luxury that was never extended to him.

Being given a bank card was a huge deal. It meant that somebody had taken the time to set up an account; they had allocated money for him in his name. They trusted and cared enough for him, and it was fucking terrifying.