touch you like i do- neteyam

i promise more lo'ak content is on the way my exams are literally going on atm and its hard to catch up

-

"Am I clear?" you yell slightly making the kids listening to you flinch, squeaking out a meek "Yes Y/N."

"Hey." Neteyam murmurs wide eyed, "Maybe go a little easy?"

You had been assigned to teach the little Omaticaya children the way's of the ocean clan. When the forest people had come to seek an abode at your village- it didn't take too long for you to befriend them. More importantly- to the Sully family. Their youngest son- Lo'ak had formed a  relationship with Tsireya, a girl you had practically helped raise. His brother Neteyam had grown to be a close friend of yours.

One sided friend more like.

You liked him. A lot. From the very first day you saw him and he would always act like he was years older than he actually was. That was when you were fifteen. You were now freshly eighteen and your feelings for him hadn't died down. Of course you never told him, or showed how you felt. He never suspected anything either because anytime you were in the same vicinity as him- you figured out a way to throw an insult at him. In your head- it was what you interpreted as flirting. No boy ever really confessed to you, because you would always shun them out. Not because you meant it- you were just too awkward to actually openly express your feelings.

You were best friends with Neteyam, but that was it. Good cop, bad cop- and you always felt like the latter.

"They won't learn unless I am harsh." you roll your eyes but on the inside- you regretted it because now he thought you were shit with children. Which you were, but.

"Grump." he teased bumping your shoulder with his, and your cheeks might have reddened because of the contact- but that was for you to know.

You weren't mean. You were just extremely head over heels in love with him, so much so that the only way you could interact with him was if you were being terrible.

And then Ta'raii comes around and she's just so good with kids, and the smile on the boy's face seeing that is so pure and wide that you want to soccer punch yourself because why can't you just suck it up and act like a normal person.

You were one of the Metkayina, and Ta'raii was Omaticaya. She had grown up alongside Neteyam and it only made you lose any hope you had.

He smiled when he was with her. He laughed. He acted like she was the only girl in the room and you hated it. Every second of his face lighting up when she cracked a joke, or how he would grin when she'd cling to him like a lovesick cat.

Barf.

You started wearing your hair in a ponytail like Ta'raii did. In hopes that he would notice and maybe give you as much attention.

He only looked at you confused when you stomp out of the tent upon Ta'raii's arrival- not wanting to see the little kids gush over how beautiful her braids were or how her and Neteyam would be a good pair.

"How can you expect him to confess to you when you act like you are allergic to boys." Nayaka- your girl best friend sighs when you complain about how much you liked him for like the millionth time.

"I don't- I just- I don't know. If he liked me he would've told me so what's the point in being nicer?" you whine digging your head into your knees and the girl sighs-

"Yeah that's it. We're having a girls night today. All of us. and you're going to have the time of your life. All you do is stay in your tent all day so no wonder you're so pessimistic all the time."