6 - Do We Still Have It?

Chris and I had dinner with his family and it was like any normal dinner. As we were thinking of leaving, I pulled Scott off to the side.

"You can go home. You don't need to move in with your brother and me to run interference. We will be fine." I said and Scott huffed a laugh but nodded.

"I thought moving in was stupid anyway, but you can't tell Chris anything." Scott said and I nodded. I just watched him playing with his nephews. They were laughing and I just sighed.

"I hoped that would be him with our kids one day." I said.

"Still can be..."

"A lot of things were said Scott. A lot that can't be taken back." I said and Scott sighed. Scott hugged me and then went to leave. He went to say bye to Chris and the rest of the family. Chris looked at me as Scott talked to him and he gave a small nod. I walked outside to the front and just leaned against one of the pillars. The door opened and Chris came outside.

"So you sent home our buffer." Chris said and I huffed a laugh as he leaned on the other pillar.

"We were married, hell we still are. I think we can get along somehow. Did you really think a babysitter was a good idea?" I asked, Chris sighed and shrugged crossing his arms.

"I didn't know Polly, I mean damn I don't even know how to feel about this at all. We go out together and have to be loving and affectionate and we haven't even touched each other in months. I mean even before the divorce intimacy was hard to come by. I know one of us was always working. You have to admit how hot and heavy we used to be." Chris said and I nodded. I looked at Chris.

"Chris...I want whatever we do to look real. Do we need to see if anything is still there?" I asked.

"Meaning..."

"Meaning, kiss me. See if it's all still there." I said and Chris huffed a laugh.

"You're serious?"

"It's not like we haven't kissed before. We can do it again." I said and Chris sighed.

"If I were to kiss you again, I won't do it here at Ma's where anyone can see in case its awkward." Chris said and I nodded.

"Fine, then when we get back home. We need to make this real Chris." I said and he nodded. We went back inside and stayed a little longer, I knew Chris was stalling leaving thinking about the kiss. Once we left, we got in his car and he started to head home. As he drove, he reached over and grabbed my hand that was resting on my thigh. I looked at Chris and he was smiling but never took his eyes off the road. I smiled and relished the feeling of how normal this felt right now. Could there still be something there?

Once we got home, we got out of the car and headed inside. Things were awkward when we walked in. We both loved the dogs when they met us at the door. Chris and I walked further in the house. Chris grabbed my hand as he did and I smiled as he led me to the bedroom. I wasn't sure of his plan. Once we got inside, he shut the door, shutting the dogs out.

"Holding your hand in the car, I felt the tiniest spark, there might be something here still. I just needed you in the room we made the most love in to see." Chris said and I just half nodded. "I'm going to take this slow, for now." Chris said and I nodded.

"Whatever you're comfortable with." I said and he nodded.

He moved closer to me and placed a hand on my cheek. I closed my eyes and leaned into his touch. He ran his thumb over my lips and I slightly opened for him. He then carded his hand through my hair and placed his hand on the back of my neck, pulled me closer to him as our lips hovered over each other's. My breath hitched being this close to him again, our bodies pressed against each other. I felt his tongue lightly skim my bottom lip and I let out a breathy sigh. I then felt it, his lips on mine, I lifted my hands and placed them flat on his chest. I ran them up and around his neck and gripped the back of his head holding him to me. Chris gripped my hip with his free hand and pulled me flush again him.