nine.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

SEASON TWO — CHAPTER FOUR
"Where's your vodka?"

SEASON TWO — CHAPTER FOUR"Where's your vodka?"

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Glenn could imagine a life on the farm. There was enough space for both groups to live comfortably and give Katherine a chance to grow up in a safe place. Helping with what they could, part of his group scrambled around the area, carrying wood and rocks. He tried to stay focused. He really did.

Covered in a light shine of sweat, Alex effortlessly chopped down the wood into more manageable pieces. Her hair was in a ponytail while a few strands framed her face. The sunlight dancing on her skin made him never want to look away. Part of him was envious that the sun's beams could kiss her the way he wanted to. Birds chirped in the distance, almost as if his fascination with the girl amused them. Buzzing flies failed to steal away his attention. He wondered what she would say if he let his heart speak without interruption or hesitation. In any version of reality, he knew he would be drawn to her, obsessed with the sound of her voice and the way her eyes crinkled when she genuinely smiled.

The revving of a motorcycle and Alex walking away brought him back to earth. Already knowing who it was, Alex put down the ax and jogged over to the approaching vehicles. The crinkles under her eyes were visible as he and the others followed to greet them.

Disappointment crossed her face when she noticed Sophia was still missing from her mother's side. She quickly fixed her smile, not wanting people to give up hope. Glenn speculated what were the chances Sophia was still alive. He wasn't an idiot. He knew it was not likely, but for the group's sake, he hoped she hid out somewhere. Dread sparked in his chest whenever he imagined the impact it would have on everyone, especially Carol, Daryl, and Alex.

He took a deep breath in before catching them up on everything that had happened. Well, he tried to. His eyes would just be focused on the way Alex's hands moved — on the way she successfully buried an assortment of emotions from everyone but him. Maggie's words rang in his ears like a piercing echo, determined to ensure he wouldn't forget.

'Soon,' he thought. He'd have to tell her soon.

Only adding to her suspicions, Shane had shaved his hair off and had a sudden change in behavior. Alex hoped she was just being delusional, but she knew better. Holding Katherine in her arms, she looked at the empty gravestone they made from a heap of rocks to commemorate Otis.

"Blessed by God, father of our lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him for the gift of our brother Otis, for his span of years, for his abundance of character." Hershel declared. Everyone had gathered to honor the lively person Hershel and his family lost. "Otis, who gave his life to save a child's, now more than ever, our most precious asset. We thank you, God, for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace."