TWO

LOCKWOOD
35 portland row

It had been months since I'd last seen Leighton, George and I tried everything we could to find her, but every time we thought we had a lead, we came up short. She was more of a ghost than the ghouls we usually worked with, believe it or not.

I stared down at the blonde, who was peacefully sleeping, her lips parted ever so slightly and her hair falling in front of her eyes. It took everything in me not to reach over and push it behind her ear.

Leighton whimpered in her sleep, shuffling closer to me, her hand resting on my bare chest, causing my breath to hitch. I shuffled further down the bed, so that I was laid down myself now.

I gently placed my hand over her's and let go of a deep breath. Leighton Lewis had been in my life since before I could remember. She had always been there and I always felt this sense of duty to her, like I was put on this earth to protect her.

"You should sleep too, Lockwood." Leighton whispered, her warm breath hitting my skin.

My heart began to race at the idea of the fact that she was awake. I half expected her to pull away from me, but instead she nuzzled her head into my chest. Her pinky finger linking with mine.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay." I whispered, tilting my head down to see her, only to realise how close we really were.

My nose brushed against hers, but unlike me, she remained calm and collected. My heart was racing, we were so close.

"Go to sleep, Lockwood, I'll be fine." She whispered, allowing her eyes to close.

I hummed in response, not fully trusting that she would be okay. She said that Lucy had brought something back of Annabel's, that meant that Leighton would feel that soon, if she didn't already.

My hand hooked around her waist and pulled her deeper into me. Her leg wrapped around my torso. A small smile formed on my face, everything felt right when I held her this close.

It didn't take long for Leighton to fall asleep again, her soft purrs were the only thing I could hear. I tried to sleep, I really did, but I just couldn't. I had to make sure that she was okay.

I wonder what her parents would be saying right now, they certainly wouldn't be impressed nor happy. They used to say that she was too dangerous to even be near me, that she would corrupt me.

I shifted in the bed, causing Leighton to let go of a groan.

"If you don't lay still or go to sleep, imma sleep on the sofa." Leighton mumbled, her words made my grip on her waist tighten.

"I can't sleep." I admitted, my fingers dancing up and down the dip in her waist.

Leighton sat upright, her nose scrunching up slightly before turning to face me. I sat up alongside her, but rested back against the head board of the bed.

"What do you need? Tea? Hot milk? Your favourite teddy?" Leighton spoke sarcastically, a teasing smile making its way onto her face. Her blonde hair fell in front of her eyes and it took everything in me not to submit at her gaze.

"Piss off." I shook my head.

My eyes flickered down to her exposed skin, my shirt falling off her shoulder and she sat on her knees, causing it to rise. I wetted my bottom lip and shifted once again.

Leighton leant forward, her face inches apart from mine. Her eyes darkened with a glint of mischief. She playfully bit her bottom lip to hide her smile.

"If I remember rightly, you liked your hair been played with." She brought her hand up and began to play with my hair, making me hum, my eyes instantly feeling heavy.

The blonde let go of a giggle and sat down beside me, her fingers combing through my hair until I fell into a peaceful slumber.

I don't know how long I was asleep for, or what time it was. But waking up to Leighton gasping my name and gripping onto my arm tightly was not how I expected to wake up.

"Leigh?" I placed my hand on hers, making her turn to face me. Her eyes softened and she wrapped her arms around my neck.

"I love you." She straddled my lap, my hands resting on her hips. "Please, please don't leave me, I love you."

My mouth fell agape. I didn't know what to say. My lips were moving but no words were coming out.

"Leigh I l-"

"Hugo." She rested her head against mine.

My heart sank to the pit of my stomach, my grip on her waist loosening. I didn't want to think that Leighton was right and that Annabel was in the house, but I don't know why I would doubt her.

"Annabel?" My voice was quiet as I whispered and her eye lit up.

"Hugo, kiss me please." Leighton begged, her eyes closing as she leant forward to connect our lips. "Please kiss me-"

"LOCKWOOD!" Lucy barged in. "She's here, Annabel Ward." Her eyes then caught onto Leighton, who was still straddling my lap. "I'm sorry I-"

"I know." I nodded, looking up to Leighton, who's eyes had closed and her breathing became shallow. "Leighton?"

Leighton's body fell limp, crashing into my chest. I quickly laid her down in the bed, cupping her face, hoping to get her to wake up.

"Leigh-" I whispered, looking back at Lucy, who seemed panicked. "Get the boots, wake up George."

George came in moments later, a chain wrapped around his body and salt bombs in his hands. His eyes flickered over to Leighton.

"What's she doing here?" His voice was laced in both concern and confusion.

"Lockwood." Leighton's voice croaked. "She's here, she's upstairs."

My hand linked with Leighton's pulling her into an upright position. I tucked her hair behind her ear before cupping her cheek and forcing her to look at me.

"You okay, Leigh?" Her face was ghostly pale, lined with a thin layer of sweat. Her skin was hot to touch and I'd never really seen her like this before. I'd seen her with attachments, but never one this strong. "Stay here." I instructed, going to leave, but her hand wrapped around my wrist, making me turn my attention back to the brunette.

"Just don't hurt her, please." Leighton's voice cracked as she spoke. "You know it'll hurt me too."

socials
instagram ~ vxidcameron & em.newmann
snapchat ~ emilynewman1234
tik tok ~ thesaintsseries & leeandhan