10. Nina's Story Told

Author's Note: This chapter is extra long, but I just couldn't find a way to break it up. I hope you enjoy!

WARNING: There is mention of abuse and rape, but no details are given.  If you'd like the full story, please go back and read Book 1 if you haven't yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I've got a good feeling about this one, Pea."

"Nina, I said no." She turned to glare at her sister, hands on her hips. "No more meetings in the sitting room, no more walks in the garden, no more blind dates."

"They're not blind dates, Pea. They're just...strategically planned meetings." Nina shrugged.

Pea rolled her eyes and let out a frustrated grunt, turning to look out her bedroom window.

"Pea, you've not made any effort to get to know any of the men that will be in the ceremony. If I didn't plan these meetings for you, how else would they happen?!" Nina sighed and walked over to embrace her sister. "The ceremony is in two weeks, Pea." Nina said quietly. "I hate this for you. I wish you didn't have to do this. But if this is really happening, then I'm at least trying to help you find the best case scenario in all of this. So you can partner with someone that's a good fit."

"I know, Nina. I'm sorry. I appreciate all of your help. This is just very overwhelming...

None of these men seem very interested in me. And honestly I..."

Nina took a step back so she could see her sister's face. "And what? You're not interested in them either?"

"Nina, I...." Pea looked away and blushed.

"Pea!" Nina smacked her sister's arm, playfully. "Pea, you like someone, don't you! Who is it?"

"It doesn't matter, he-"

"Of course it matters! Who is it? One of the men I've set you up to meet? Oh, is it the man from the treasury? I knew I had a good feeling..." Nina was practically bouncing with excitement.

"No, Nina. No, he was dreadful, he kept picking his teeth with his fingernail!"

"Eww!" Nina laughed. "Which one, then?"

"No, none of them have gone well at all. I really don't want to do any more, please just stop."

"Well someone had you blushing, who was it? If none of them, the only other single man you've met or been around is..." Nina's eyes rounded in surprise and then immediately her face turned to anger.

"No. No, not him."

"Why?  What's wrong with him, Nina? He's been so-"

"No!" Nina drug her hand down her face and let out an angry grunt. "Of all people, Pea, why him?!"

"Why are you angry?" Pea let out a defeated chuckle. "I've finally found someone I could see myself with and you...the one and only person whose opinion I care about, are angry and forbidding it?"

"You don't know him, Pea!"

"And you do?!"

"You don't know what he's done!"

"Then tell me!"

"I was attacked, Pea! I was practically tortured for two days, attacked, and almost raped!"

"What?! How could you not tell me, Nina!" Pea's usually calm and patient demeanor had fled. "I've been here for weeks, and you haven't told me! What happened? Did he... he was the one, who...?" Pea felt her breathing quicken and her heart race. This was the big secret neither of them told her?! No wonder Nina hates him, no wonder he was so confident Pea would hate him as well. How could she have been so fooled by him? How was she such a bad judge of character?