16. The Aftermath

Three weeks later.

"Just remember not to overwork it. If you mix it too much, the dough will become chewy."

"Right, got it. How's this?"

"Looks great, Phelan. Congratulations, you just finished your first batch of biscuit dough."

He gave her a smile. "Well, I had a great teacher. Now, let's get these in the oven." Pea opened the door for him and he placed them in.

"I have to run but I'll be back. Same time tomorrow?"

"Yeah I'll be here. I'll show you how to make cornbread. The proper bread to have with beans."

"Sounds great. See you tomorrow Pea, thanks."

Pea sent the next few minutes cleaning up their mess, when one of the king's guards came running in. "Miss Pea."

"Yes?" She eagerly turned to face him. "Is it news of the prince?" She asked, full of hope.

"No miss... sorry." The boy gave her a sad shrug. "Her highness requests your presence in the royal sitting room."

Pea nodded. "I'll be right there, I'm just finishing up here." He nodded and left the room as quickly as he came. Pea let out a frustrated grunt as she prepared herself to face her sister. Nina had taken to smothering her ever since... Pea closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, willing her tears not to fall. She was so tired of crying. She had never been an emotional person, but all of that had changed. She had changed. She didn't realize it at first, but she had begun to change the moment she got here. The moment she met... him. In the many weeks since her arrival, she was becoming more confident in herself, more confident in her abilities, her gifts, her worth. It was new, feeling like she had worth. She liked it. And it was him who made her realize all of this.

She threw the cleaning rag into the basket and turned to face whatever her sister had for her this time.

"Pea, there you are!" She ran to hug Pea as she entered.

"Hello Nina, what are you up to today?"

"Me? Up to something?" Nina smirked.

"Never, I'm sure." Pea deadpanned.

"Ok ok, you and I are having a spa day."

"They have a spa here?"

"Come with me." She dragged Nina down the hall to a room she'd never been to before. "They've had this all along and I'm just learning of it." Nina said with excitement. She had definitely been enjoying the perks of living on the floor that was strictly for the royal family.

Pea's mouth opened in shock. "Is that what I think it is?"

"Yes! Now let's get in."

"Wearing what?" Pea questioned.

"Our underwear, naked, whatever you want to do. Just get in."

Pea scoffed, choosing to keep her underwear on.

She slowly entered the steaming hot water and exhaled in relief. "Oh Nina, what a find. I've needed this." She said quietly. The large room was filled with a big pool, the outside edges had various sized stones to sit on underneath the water. Underneath the pool there were rows of tubes that fed into various pits underneath the edges, that were currently stocked with hot coals from nearby fires. A maid servant came in periodically to check the temperature and add more coals, if needed.

"A glorious hot tub, for our own personal use. I could get used to this." Nina responded to her sister. "And on the hottest days in summer I'm told we can use it as a cooling pool. From how warm this spring has been, I can imagine we'll need it."