4. Sweet Pea

"Lucky for you, the quarterly check-in and supply delivery should be here tomorrow evening. They'll stay the night and then leave the next morning. You can travel back to the Capitol with them."

"That's... that's a total of 5 days!" She stood and stared down at him. How was she supposed to sit around and wait that long. She had no idea if her sister was safe, Nina had already been alone in this place for weeks, she needed to get to her now. She closed her eyes, breathing in to calm herself, while schooling her features. More out of habit, than anything.

"Your sister is fine, ... um ... what's your name?"

"Pea"

"Pea?" He looked at her questioningly.

"Yes, Pea. it's short for - um, something." She didn't want him knowing her full name. She hated it and he didn't need to know personal information about her, anyway.

He eyed her suspiciously. "Ok then. Your sister is fine, trust me she's in good hands.  In fact, She couldn't have a better person looking out for her."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

He smirked. "You'll see when you get there. But she's fine, trust me."

"Why are you being secretive? Just tell me." She scowled. 

"If two people seem to be developing feelings for each other, it's not my place to go telling people about it."  He winked at her and propped his feet up on the table.

"Someone is interested in her? Already?"

"Yes, and she seems to return the attraction."

"Doubtful." Pea Scoffed.

He sat up straight again, feet in the floor. "And why is that, oh wise one?"

"Boys never hold Nina's interest for long, if at all. She's constantly having to let them down when they express their interest. It's sad, really."

"Do I sense a hint of jealousy?" He chuckled and her mouth dropped open like a fish, taking in a gasp. Before she could respond he added.

"Trust me this is no boy and the feelings are definitely mutual." He snickered.

"Here I'm worried about her being alone and scared and...and hurt... and in danger... and she's off in some random place I've never heard of, flirting with some man?  Who is he?  What does-"

"Now you're sounding more like your sister. Honestly, I was having my doubts that you two were related." he cut off the spiral she was entering into.

She did a short gasp and then suddenly schooled her features, letting out a slow breath as she relaxed herself. It was unlike her to get flustered and spew out questions in an obviously emotional manner. But he seemed to be familiar with Nina's tendency to give emotional outbursts filled with questions. Perhaps she had rubbed off on Pea at some point. Her next words came out in her usual calm manner.

"I am practically her mother.  We are definitely related. We're just different when it comes to certain things." She crossed her arms and moved her weight to the other leg.  She wasn't sure why she was even explaining herself to him.

"Now. Will you please answer my questions?"

He just stared and smirked, amused by her for a moment before giving in. "Your sister is in The Capitol, east of here. Being treated very well, by a sweet old woman who is like my aunt and also by The Capitol's King." He gave her an amused look. "I've never seen him take such an interest in a girl, let alone an outsider. What about your sister, is that usual for her?"