17. Starting Over

"Love, he will be alright. This is a good sign."

"How is this good? He had a seizure and then went right back into his coma." Nina yelled as she paced the room.

Meece grunted in frustration. " I don't know these words you keep using, but please listen to me. The fact that he woke up at all is a miracle. It means his body is returning to us. But it will need time to adjust, we have to give him time."

"Ugh!" Nina yelled out in frustration, then stepped toward Meece and whispered. "I'm sorry. I just can't stand seeing her this way." Pea was still sitting in the chair beside Hezron's bed, stroking his hair. "It's been almost 2 days and she refuses to leave his side. It's like we're back at the beginning all over again."

"He asked her not to leave. Would you leave Fulton's side after that?" Nina sighed and shook her head.

Meece gave Nina's shoulder a comforting Pat. "Come, let's go get her something to eat."

Several hours later, Pea was seated beside Hezron again, cello in position. "Let's play something a little happier today... Oh, I know just the song." She chuckled. "There was a children's movie back home that I just loved. Nina always laughed at me. A movie is kind of like a play, by the way. This one follows the story of Rapunzel, do you have the Rapunzel story here?" She stared at him for a moment. "In the movie she falls in love with a man who tries to look all tough on the outside, but on the inside he's a big softy. He kind of reminds me of you, actually." She smiled at him. "Anyway, there's a song they sing together near the end, when they're realizing their feelings for each other. The lyrics talk of how much they've changed each other for the better. Even though it's a children's movie, I always thought the song was a beautiful testament to the love two people could share and how it can transform lives." She looked at him for several moments, a rogue tear going down her cheek.

She drew in a deep breath and began to play. After the first verse and chorus she felt the words bubbling within her until she could no longer hold them in. She began to sing as she played.

"All those days, chasing down a daydream, All those years, living in a blur

All that time, never really seeing, things the way they were.

Now you're here, shining in the starlight. Now you're here, suddenly I know.

If you're here, it's crystal clear, I'm where I'm meant to go...

And at last I see the light, and it's like the fog has lifted

And at last I see the light, and it's like the sky is new.

And it's warm and real and bright, and the world has somehow shifted....

All at once, everything is different, now that I see you.

...now that I see you."

A couple of rogue tears fell onto Pea's cheek as she pulled her bow for one last long note. She stood and returned the instrument to its holder on the opposite side of her chair. "So what did you think of that one?"

"Beautiful."

She turned quickly towards the bed, eyes wide in shock, her body frozen in place as she stared at the man. He groaned as he leaned up onto one elbow to face her. She quickly rushed to his side to help him. He brought his hand up to cup her cheek. "absolutely beautiful" he whispered as his thumb rubbed a tear from her face.

She leaned and embraced him, their arms wrapping around each other. "Don't leave me again, Hezron." Pea whispered and Hezron nodded in response, a tear running down his cheek as well.

She grabbed a couple more pillows to help him sit up, then brought him water to help his throat. Soon, the others were rushing in, each greeting Hezron with hugs and words of comfort as they came. All except Nina, who had rushed to embrace her sister. Meece and the menders had looked over Hezron, did a series of tests with him, and gave him instructions to help ease his body back into everything, which included not overdoing it too quickly. 

Eventually it was only Pea, Nina, and Fulton who remained in the room with Hezron as he yawned. "You would think after sleeping for a month, I wouldn't be so sleepy. But I'm sorry to say, I won't be able to stay awake for you much longer." He gave them a weak smile.

Fulton chuckled. "We'll let you rest." He bent and clasped Hezron's hand. "I'm so glad to have you back, brother.... Don't ever scare me like that again."

Hezron squeezed his hand and nodded. "I promise."

"Come Nina, let's give them some privacy." Fulton motioned for Nina to join him as he headed toward the door.

Nina shook her head slightly and slowly walked toward Hezron. His right eyebrow rose as if to question her actions.  She knelt down beside his bed, looking up at him. "I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Wh-what?" He asked quietly, his brows furrowing.

"I'm sorry. For not listening to you when you came to see me."

"My Queen, I-"

"Nina." She raised her hand to stop him. "I'm sorry for not letting you speak. I'm sorry for blaming you for the actions of others. I want you to know, Hezron, that I don't blame you for any of it, that I know I was wrong." A tear fell down his cheek and he nodded, he had no words to express the relief he was feeling.

She placed her hand on top of his. "And I'm happy my sister has found you. I've never seen her as happy as she was in the weeks she spent with you, even just as friends." His chin quivered. "Even if you were both idiots who were too afraid to embrace and share your feelings." She looked over to Fulton. "But we can relate to that, can't we?" Fulton chuckled and nodded at her.

She turned back to look at Hezron, face and voice stern. "But if you hurt her, Hezron. If you do anything like this to break her heart again... if I ever have to watch her become a shell of herself again and cry every moment she thinks no one is looking..." he let out a whimper and tears began falling more freely. She stood and looked down at him. "I promise you I will come down on you with the full wrath of your queen." She turned and joined her husband. "Now let's go." Fulton chuckled and led her away, winking at his brother as he walked out the door.

Hezron gave his brother a small smile, then closed his eyes and drew in a deep breath. He was exhausted. He felt Pea's hand on his face, her fingers moving his hair out of the way before cupping his palm. He exhaled in relief. 

"I'm so sorry." His chin quivered again when he opened his eyes to look at her. "I'm so sorry, for everything. For this..." he motioned to himself "for thinking you'd be better off without me, for all the pain I caused you by pushing you away.... Will you ever be able to forgive me?" He reached out and ran his fingers through her hair, resting his hand on the back of her head.

"It's already forgiven, Hezron. As long as you stay with me now. Be with me. Love me. Share this life with me." Her eyes held the question her heart was nervous to have answered. Waiting for him to confirm their commitment to each other, or to reject her again and leave her to crumble.

"I'd love nothing more, Sweet Pea." She let out a sound that was a laugh mixed with a cry as he pulled her to him and they embraced in a kiss.

Both of her hands reached the sides of his face as she held him close to her, relishing in the feeling of his lips on hers.

He pulled away and rested his forehead on hers. "I hate to end this, more than anything I hate it. But I'm afraid it's time for me to rest, my love." She released her hold on him and removed a couple of the pillows so he could lay down to sleep. "Stay with me?" She looked up at him in surprise. "Just... stay with me while I fall asleep."

She nodded and laid on the bed beside him, curling into his side. "As long as you promise to wake up again." She whispered. "I'm so scared, Hezron."

"I know, love. I know."

They laid there for a few quiet moments, Pea thought Hezron was asleep. But then he whispered. "Did you ride a horse?"

She laughed. A real, full laugh that she hadn't felt in so long. "I did. For you."

He brought his arm over to caress hers. "I love you." He whispered as he smiled.

"I love you too."