11 - LOVE ME LIKE A FRIEND

GOSSIP GIRL
CHAPTER ELEVEN

BEING A GOOD PERSON WAS AS AWFUL AS QUINN IMAGINED

BEING A GOOD PERSON WAS AS AWFUL AS QUINN IMAGINED. Being a good person meant feeling guilty about everything you did as a bad person. And guilt sucked. It was what Quinn avoided her whole life. She bet her family had never felt guilt in their whole lives.

The other thing that sucked about being a good person was the apologies. People actually expected others to apologise for their actions. It was blasphemy. Quinn had been thinking about her apology all day. She supposed if she was going to turn over a new leaf, out of everyone Conrad deserved an apology. She was convinced she had actually done anything that wrong but he wouldn't speak to her unless she apologised so she had to bite the bullet.

Quinn paced outside Conrad's house. She was sure she had been to his house before. At least once at a house party she was sure. But after drunken nights, she had no chance at remembering the address. Quinn tried every means of finding out his address without having to cave and ask Jeremiah. But at risk of sounding suspicious for not knowing her own boyfriends address, Quinn had to swallow her pride and text Jeremiah. He wasn't exactly the most helpful to begin with. He was still under the impression that Quinn was a bitch who was going to break his brother's heart. Quinn tried not to feel hurt. She knew she wasn't a stellar person but it was a date with reality to find out that someone thought that badly of her. She would never intentionally hurt someone like that. People didn't realise it was usually her that was hurt not everyone else.

After a thread of sincere apologies, Jeremiah finally agreed to give up his address. And now here she was, standing in front of their large blue door with the number 22 in silver metal, pacing back and forth. She wasn't scared of Conrad. She wasn't scared of anything. But in the Sorrentino family apologising meant weakness. It meant losing. And she hated to lose. Especially to Conrad.

"You okay, sweetie?" Quinn jumped out of her skin. Her pacing stopped so fast she almost toppled over herself. The blue door to number 22 was now open and at its frame was a woman. Her hair was blonde unlike the other Fisher's that she knew lived her but she had the protruding blue eyes that she had seen on Jeremiah. Possibly their mother? She looked old enough. Not in an unappealing way. The lines on her face held warmth and happiness. Quinn immediately felt at ease in the woman's gaze.

"Oh." Was all Quinn could say. She cursed herself for being so staggered. She couldn't even feel embarrassed. The woman looked at her with so much kindness that she didn't even recognise her own fault. "Sorry. I'm looking for Conrad."

The woman smiled so widely it was as if Quinn had just told her that she had won the lottery. Quinn expected a handshake but the woman brought her into her arms. Quinn tensed at first. She was a great hugger. Quinn managed to relax but she wasn't used to it all. "You must be Quinn. I'm Susannah, Conrad's mom."

"It's nice to meet you." Quinn murmured, still dazed by the hug.

Susannah stepped back. "I've heard so many wonderful things about you."