4 - THE PROPOSAL

GOSSIP GIRL
CHAPTER FOUR

AT TIMES, QUINN SORRENTINO COULD BE A GENIUS

AT TIMES, QUINN SORRENTINO COULD BE A GENIUS. Yes, she was failing math and English and history but when it came to pulling the strings of the high school student body, she was a mastermind. Everyone believed the rumour and by the sounds of the comments she had been hearing across campus, she had managed to make Conrad a God. Quinn was immensely proud of herself. She was a connoisseur of scheming and lying and the ability to pull it all off made her feel powerful. Conrad, too, was proud of the ruse they managed to pull off. The original rumour was now buried deep under blankets of teenage gossip. Of course, however, there were drawbacks for this particular type of lie. For Quinn, it didn't matter. She was not bound to the ties of a relationship that Conrad was and though his relationship was already on the rocks, it was possibly he sunk the boat.

If you thought Quinn was popular, it was nothing compared to Aubrey. Quinn was still rising in fame. Yes, she had everyone in her clutches, but she was only a sophomore. Aubrey was still the 'it' girl to beat. And no doubt, Quinn would be her successor, but she still had a long way to go before the queen bee gave up her crown. Aubrey was a year older which automatically gave her the advantage. Aubrey was liked because she was cool. Because she threw fun parties and joined the student council so she could get free burritos for the football team every week and because she had the figure of a super model and was incredibly humble about it. Quinn could do all these things too. But there was one stark difference between them; Quinn was mean, and Aubrey pretend that she wasn't.

Conrad Fisher knew how mean she could be. He'd known when she refused to meet his parents because she wanted to go to Regina Willcox's birthday party. He'd known when she forgot his birthday and claimed that he didn't remind her. He knew when he caught her having sex with Peter Kavinsky in her dad's old Camero. He'd known but he didn't care. Because he was in love. And he knew love was about accepting each other's faults. About loving in spite of our mistakes. That's what he knew. He could forgive her. He could forget everything as long as she came back. He knew that this lie was fuel to the fire but a part of him wanted that fire to scorch. He wanted that inch of payback that he could give Aubrey before begging for her forgiveness. If he could forgive it, so could she. Couldn't she?

Aubrey was an impossible person to find in the school. Being student body president and the head of nearly every major club aside from the mathletes and zombie survival club, made for a busy person. Aubrey, of course, was applying to every ivy league in the country being the overachiever that she was. Therefore, she had every club in the palm of her hands to boost that college application to Yale. Quinn could never. Conrad ran the hallways looking for his girlfriend to no avail. It wasn't unusual for him to miss classes. He'd had frequently meetings with the principal and his parents regarding his attendance or lack thereof and it changed nothing. He stuck school out until his attendance peaked again and then fall back into old habits.