5 - THE ACT

GOSSIP GIRL
CHAPTER FIVE

IN RETROSPECT, THIS WAS PROBABLY A BAD IDEA

IN RETROSPECT, THIS WAS PROBABLY A BAD IDEA. Conrad did not need more drama in his life. Frankly, he wanted his life to be quiet and tranquil and just keep his head down until college. Of course, that was never an option as soon as he hooked up with Olive Nguyen and obtained his fuckboy reputation. The thing with high school reputations, they're hard to walk away from. He didn't want the reputation. He genuinely liked Olive. It was her that started the rumour. She told everyone that he had smashed and dashed when actually it was her that didn't want the relationship. She labelled him a fuckboy so she wouldn't be labelled a slut. As fucked up as that is. Conrad kept the label because he wasn't allowed to remove it. Everyone had already decided who he was.  

This thing with Quinn could only be messy. He knew that. But frankly, he didn't have any other options. If he let Aubrey win then he would be isolated for the rest of high school. At least this way he can get back his so-called best friends. And torturing Aubrey was kind of fun too.

Conrad didn't know how to be in a fake relationship. Granted, it wasn't something he would usually partake in on his regular week. He barely knew how to act in a real relationship. He thought he did but according to Aubrey all he ever did was hurt her.

Right back atcha, Aubrey.

Relationships were easy when feelings were involved. Conrad believed that when you loved someone it was the easiest thing in the world. You had a connection like no other and felt comfortable with them. Conrad didn't feel comfortable with Quinn. Nothing against her but she wasn't exactly his type. He didn't care about her, and she didn't care about him. He didn't know how they were supposed to pull this off.

Conrad went to Quinn's after school on Saturday to discuss their situation. He felt incredibly awkward as he walked up the steps of her mansion and knocked on the red door. Nothing good could ever be behind a red door.

Conrad bounced on his feet as he wiped his clammy hands on his jeans. He began to panic. What if her mom opened the door? How would he introduce himself? Friend? Classmate? Boyfriend?

Quinn swung open the door to stop his worrying. "Come in."

Quinn left the door open for him as she walked towards the living room. Conrad sheepishly followed behind. Quinn was dressed spectacularly well for a Saturday afternoon with no plans. She was in a pink dress and had a full face of makeup and her hair curled. It was no different from how Conrad usually saw her. On a regular Saturday, Quinn would still be in her pyjamas watching her favourite musicals over and over again. It took a lot of effort for her to roll out of her routine and get ready. Conrad and her were not in the kind of relationship where he could see her stained hello kitty pyjamas and retainers.