the one who chose to walk away

I don't blame you. I don't blame myself either. I feel happier without your presence. I learned to be happy on my own, without looking for you. I taught myself to be strong. I never looked for you, but your ghost haunted me so badly. It's like every time I close my eyes, I see your ghost staring at me. Your deadly eyes scared the hell out of me. Whenever I hear your name or anything that reminds me of you, I would feel myself crumble into pieces.

Months later, I started smiling again. I smiled at the world for the very first time since the time I cursed it for hurting me so much. I smiled at the people who add so much value to my life. I smiled at strangers. I waved my hand to the little kids outdoors who deeply reminded me of what it's like to be young and childish. But then, there was this one time that something reminded me of you again and I did not hold myself back from crying. There was this song that pierced my heart as it evoked the memories of you in my head.

You, the one who chose to walk away, led me back to the path I needed most and that is myself. I learned to love myself better this time because you made me feel as if I didn't deserve to be happy. I appreciated what I can do for the world and accepted that I am in no control of everything in this world and that includes you. If it weren't for the broken pieces, I wouldn't be able to look after myself like how I do right now. If it weren't for the pain you deeply caused me, I would not be able to heal myself because the pain taught me to be resilient. But most of all, it taught me to see life in a much clearer view.
Pain ends. People change. Everything happened for a reason.

I guess, this is where I bid my goodbye to the pain you caused me.