the weird, the good and the funny

Photo credits: Pinterest

I once thought, "Am I boring? Why don't they find me as interesting as my books? Why do they approach me only when they need someone to help them with schoolworks and stuff? Why do they always make me feel like I'm just an option they can easily go to when they needed someone to talk to?" It broke my heart to think of those silly, petty and depressing things. I guess, I'm not everyone's cup of tea. Some like me, some hate me and some pretend to like me. When I was little, I used to think that the world revolved around me. I used to think that I should always be the one, the princess and the best. But as I ventured through the dark halls of adolescence, I've come to understand that not everyone will like me and that is perfectly fine.

Growing up, I've always dreamt of love as something as beautiful as it has always been shown in movies. The romantic, funny and charming kind of love story. Who doesn't love love stories? At some point in our lives, I bet that we all wished for a love that would keep us warm through the cold nights, soft and tender and radiant. But then again, not everything and everyone will have a perfect ending. We're young and there's still a lot of love out there. Ironically, I wrote a devastatingly heartbreaking book last December and I poured my whole heart into it. I admit, I was so broken. I couldn't understand why some people had to break our hearts, deceive us and just leave us empty and hanging. I mean, it was just unfair. It's unfair that we get to meet people and leave them and make them feel like they shouldn't have met us. I guess, that was the peak of my sad girl era. Who would've thought that a girl as bubbly, radiant and optimistic as me would then shut out the world and close her heart from everyone? I was just a teenage girl whose heart was so used to being broken every single time. It's just crushes. They didn't even like me. None of them did.

When I think of all the guys I had a crush on before who didn't like me back, I just wonder that it's too bad they didn't get to truly understand and know the real me. The weird, the good and the funny. I was the only one who was interested in knowing their souls. Unfortunately, they didn't even have the time to converse, laugh or even talk with me. They just ignored me because who the hell would like a girl who writes poems and letters to every guy she likes. Heartbreaking, yes. But now that I think of it, I wish that those guys may learn to value the true essence of love and admiration. I don't think that chivalry is dead. I think some boys are just afraid of showing their true selves and instead, they hide underneath the masks they've been wearing for a while now.

As for me, I've learned to accept that I shouldn't change myself just so a person would want to know me. I don't need to hide how weird I am when it comes to books, how funny I am in real life and how good is my heart to those who are sincere about me. And yes, I don't need to prove myself to people because it's just tiring to prove to people that you are this and that when in fact, you are just being yourself.
I think in everything that I'm going through, I constantly remind myself of the weird, the good and the funny things about me that I should never ever hide because these things make me 'me.'

And you, my dear reader, I hope you never hide the weird, the good and the funny about you. I hope you hold on to the things that make you feel like yourself and never let anyone hinder you from becoming the person you desperately aspire to become.