8| another day

It was dark outside, the usual scorching sun having gone down after a couple of hours and the nighttime sky was now out

It was dark outside, the usual scorching sun having gone down after a couple of hours and the nighttime sky was now out. The wind was blowing by, luckily not as strong to cause up a sandstorm but enough to make the group put on their jackets as they tried to get warmth from the fire they had made when they found shelter after losing one of their own. Adding to the occasional sound of the wind, the sounds of fire crackling could be heard as logs laid inside that would help the flames grow bigger and to help the group of teenagers warm up during the cold night in the Scorch.

Sitting beside Thomas, feeling his arms wrapped around her, Y/n stared at the crackling flames while Aris walked back with more wood in his hands, tossing it into the fire so it would stay strong for the night. None of them had said much since the death of Winston, a death that only occurred just a couple of hours ago. Devastation was the demeanor throughout the group. They had lost one of their own, something they hoped wouldn't have happened ever since they escaped the maze and lost so many.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune." Minho speaks up, breaking the silence.

"Not all of us, I guess." Teresa replies.

Newt sighs, looking down. "If Winston can get infected, we should assume so can the rest of us."

"I never thought I'd say it." Frypan admits, causing them all to look at him as a tear runs down his cheek. "I miss the Glade."

None of them said anything else, only sitting in silence as Y/n reached up to wipe a tear that had fallen down her cheek before resting her head on Thomas' shoulder. The boy held her close against his body, kissing the top of her head before resting his cheek against it as they held each other within the silence of the group.

* * *

Once again, a whole day had passed for the group trenching towards the mountains in the Scorch. They weren't doing so good, now. They didn't have any food, something they hadn't had when they had first escaped WICKED. They ran out of water, all of them having taken turns throughout their days in the hot desert to take drinks and share each others water whenever someone else would run out of their own. Their skin was burnt, a burning and bright red being seen whenever they took their jackets off. Their skin and lips were all dry, their eyes hurting and tired from not getting enough sleep the past couple of days.

The sky was dark, once again, as the group all laid around in a circle as they used their bags for pillows underneath their heads. They had decided to just sleep in the middle of nowhere, no fire to keep them warm as they kept their own bodies scrunched together in hopes of getting rid of the cold. The clouds were dark as the flash of lightning could be seen in the distance. In her spot in between Thomas and Newt, Y/n felt that she couldn't sleep for the night like everyone else currently was.

Instead, her eyes were wide open as she stared at the carved figure laying in her hand that was covered in sand. She didn't notice Thomas was slowly opening his eyes as he noticed bright lights in the distance, his crackling voice calling out to everyone. Y/n lifted her head, curiously looking at her boyfriend as he got up to his feet, helping her up while lightly hitting Newt's arm to wake him up. His voice became stronger as he called out for everyone to wake up, all of them standing up to their feet as he pointed at the lights.