6| being chased

It was dark outside all around the sandy Scorch, the sand continuing to blow in the wind as the storm kept getting stronger and stronger

It was dark outside all around the sandy Scorch, the sand continuing to blow in the wind as the storm kept getting stronger and stronger. Lights could be seen shining through the darkness of the nighttime air while guards from inside had flashlights on their guns, some on bike-like vehicles with the engines echoing throughout the storm as they continued to search for the group of teenagers that had been able to escape. Their shouting voices could be heard, some of them being drowned out within the strong wind all around, masks over the bottom of their faces so they wouldn't be breathing in sand the entire time.

Meanwhile, just quite a few feet away from them, the said group of teenagers could be seen hiding behind a small hill as they watched the guards search for them. It was when Thomas was ushering them to follow and to stay low, was when they were moving again. When they were running again, Teresa had gone forward as they were somewhat sliding down a hill when Teresa caught sight of some glass windows, one of them being broken as they led to somewhere inside. Hoping to get out of the storm, Teresa shouted for them to follow before she was heading inside and sliding down the sand hill.

The boys were shouting for her, telling her to not go down there until it was too late. Seeing they had no other choice, Y/n followed right after her older sister as she told the boys to come down with them. Deciding to just do so, they were stumbling down the sand hill while Minho reached into the bag he had taken from the building, bringing out a flashlight and turning it on. There was a silence, other than their pants, as they followed where Minho was aiming the flashlight to see where they were at.

"Where the hell are we?" Minho pants out.

Thomas motions for them to follow. "We gotta go. We gotta keep moving."

"No. Thomas, stop!" Y/n exclaims, making him stop and face her. "Tell us what's going on."

"It's WICKED." Thomas informs, causing her eyes to widen. "It's WICKED. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count."

Minho furrows his brows. "What do you mean? Dead bodies?"

Thomas shakes his head. "No, but they weren't alive either. They had them strung up. With tubes coming out of them. They were being drained. There's something inside of us that WICKED wants. Something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible."

In the corner of her eye, Y/n notices her sister rubbing the back of her neck slightly, making the younger sister look to her in concern. Teresa didn't seem to notice as she had been staring down at her feet with a frown, continuing to rub her neck.

"Okay. So, what's the plan?" Newt asks, receiving silence in return. "You do have a plan, right?"

Thomas shrugs. "Yeah. I don't know."

"Well, we followed you out here, Thomas and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing." Newt snaps.

"Wait." Aris speaks up after a moment. "Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Some kind of resistance or army."