thirty-one: alone with the memories

A/N: WE'RE BACK!!
So happy to be writing this book again, but pls bare with me with the slow updates bc i'm not actually released until tomorrow but we hit 50k reads!! ahhh thank u thank u i love u all!!

KATIA'S POV

Not even a minute ago, I was certain I was falling to my death, but instead, the last person I would ever think to save me, saved me.

My eyes opened abruptly as I stared at Peeta Mellark's hand that was holding on to mine tightly.

He was concentrated on dodging the weapons falling down on him but I could see the weight of holding me was tiring him out. So I pulled myself together and grabbed one of my knives and stuck it into the rock in front of me so Peeta didn't have to hold me up, as my trident was still impaled to the rock metres away from me.

As Peeta and I moved around to avoid all the weapons and crates coming straight towards us still, my thoughts suddenly clouded my head.

Peeta is mere inches away from you, this is the perfect opportunity to kill him. Do it Katia. It's the perfect opportunity.

But the other side of my head was telling me something different.

Don't do it, don't hurt him Katia. He just saved your life, you should be thanking him not killing him.

I didn't know which part of my head I was supposed to listen to. But it all went away when the cornucopia came to a stop.

I was confused yet I quickly pulled my self together and ran to obtain my trident.

As I pulled out the trident from the rock, I turned around and made eye contact with Peeta who was standing up. I gave him a look and a nod, as my way of saying thank you and he smiled in return before running to what I assumed was Katniss.

He's going to end up killing you and everyone you love. And when he does, you'll be sorry you didn't kill him when you had the chance.

I groaned out loud, giving in to the voice in my head. I adjusted my trident and was about to head to where Katniss and Peeta were, when I was stopped by my brother.

"Katia.." Finnick spoke softly. "Don't do it. Go back to Brutus and Enobaria, and stay safe."

I sighed as I looked at my brother in the eyes. "I love you Finnick. I love you so much no matter what happens between us, I love you more than anything."

Finnick's gaze softened as he pulled me in for a tight hug. "I love you so much Katia. Please, promise me you'll put yourself first no matter what." He said quietly, with his arms still wrapped around me.

I didn't know what to say to him as I continued to hug him, never wanting to let go. I couldn't promise him that, if anything I would easily sacrifice my life to save the people I love.

I just subtly nodded as I felt him slowly pull away.

Slowly, I turned around and started jogging out of the cornucopia.

I looked back for a moment to see Finnick still watching me leave, a saddened look on his face.

I turned back around and continued running away from the cornucopia, with my trident back in my possession.

I had no idea where I was going, or where I was. Cashmere and Gloss were dead. I had no idea where Brutus and Enobaria were. I was lost.

Once I felt I was far enough from the cornucopia, I stopped running. I looked around for a moment before sliding down a nearby trees in exhaustion.

I spent this time to process everything that just happened. Half the tributes were gone, meaning half remain. I tried my hardest to calculate who was left, Brute and E, Beetee, me and Finnick, Joanna, girl on fire and Peeta, and four other tributes I couldn't name.

The silence around me made me feel uneasy. It felt odd being alone again, even though that's what I was used to.

I wanted to get back up and search for my friends, but all the energy inside me was gone. I was too tired to even stand up.

I hadn't slept since being in the arena, and I've gotten hurt more times that I would have liked, which must explain my severe exhaustion.

I sighed and shuffled my body back until I was slightly camouflaged between the large leaves.

I sat there, with my feet curled and wrapped up in my arms as I finally let my body rest. I couldn't sleep, not even a quick nap in case a tribute spots me or the game makers summons another mutt to go after me, so instead I sat there, keeping an eye out as I let my mind drift off to distract me.

FLASHBACK

"Do you have any food on you?" Halo asked from beside me as we continued to walk through the forest.

I looked at him for a moment before swinging my backpack to the side so I could open the zip and take out the apple I received earlier as a sponsor from Mags. I closed my bag back up and handed the apple to Halo wordlessly.

"Thank you." He thanked. I nodded and we continued walking when I heard him gasp from beside me.

My first thought being that he had spotted a tribute, so I immediately grabbed one of my knives on the ready. Instead, he pointed at something in the distance that I couldn't quite figure out what.

"Let's check it out." He announced before we both started jogging over to what looked like some kind of pond? Except it didn't look like it contained water.

Once we got close enough, I was able to identify what it was.

A pool of lava.

Red, hot, thick lava.

We both stared at it, not sure on what to say or do. That was until an idea suddenly popped into my head.

"Give me your jacket." I demanded from my district partner. His head turned to look at me confused.

"What why?" He asked.

I groaned before answering; "Halo just give it to me. I want to get some of it and put it in here." I quickly placed my back pack down and pulled out my empty water bottle. "This isn't here because of some coincidence, it might come in handy for later."

"Sounds like good thinking, except I don't know where my jacket comes into it." Halo replied.

"Well I can't just go and touch it can I? It'll burn me. I need something to protect my hands and also to wrap around when I put it back in my bag." I explained.

He huffed before giving in and started to take off his jacket. "I'm only giving this to you because you saved my life earlier."

I shot him a cheeky grin as he passed me the jacket and I walked towards the pool of lava. The closer I walked towards it, the hotter I seemed to get.

Halo stayed back, keeping an eye out just in case. Once the water bottle was full, I quickly shut it, already making my way back to my district partner and away from the scorching hot lava, my whole body sweating from the heat.

END OF FLASHBACK

I sighed as once again, my mind seemed to always drift off to Halo these past few days.

I despised the memories and flashbacks I would get from the things I did in the arena 7 years ago, but I hated it more when I would think about Halo.

I groaned quietly as I ran my hands through my messy hair.

Sometimes I wish Halo had won instead of me.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•