two: the third quarter quell

The next day I spent with Mags, catching her up on the new things I learnt from staying in district 7, while I watched her tie different hook designs.

Finnick and Annie went to the beach to catch some fish so it was just me and Mags. I didn't mind though, I loved hanging out with Mags.

When Finnick and Annie came back, we were all in the kitchen helping to prepare food while just having lots of fun talking and enjoying each other's company.

That was until the TV turned on all of a sudden. Snow appeared and all the smiles in our faces had immediately been wiped off as we stared at the man we all despised.

We all sat down on the couch as Snow started speaking. "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the 75th year of the hunger games. It was written in the charter of the games that in every 25 years, there would be a quarter quell to keep fresh for each new generation." I looked at Mags beside me on my left already annoyed from hearing Snow's voice.

"The memory of those who died in the uprising, against the Capitol. Each quarter quell, is distinguished by games of a special significance, and now on this the 75th anniversary of our defeat of the rebellion, we celebrate the third quarter quell as reminder, that even the strongest can't overcome the power of the Capitol."

We could but Snow's too much of a pussy to put all 12 districts in the same area knowing we would end him in a matter of seconds.

"On this, the third quarter quell games, the male and female tributes are to be reaped, from the existing pool of victors in each district!"

"No no no no NO! This is not happening he's not really serious is he!?" Finnick shouted at the screen infront of us as Annie bursts into tears and Mags pulls me into a hug also crying.

I froze in my seat.

There's no way this is happening. Finnick grabbed a glass on the coffee table and threw it towards the screen, the glass shattering everywhere on the floor. He starts sobbing as he pulled a crying Annie into his arms.

A tear also falls down my face as I hug Mags tighter. After everything we've been through, after everything we lost because of him.

I don't want to watch my friends die. I can't handle seeing people I love die again. I wouldn't be able to take it.

After what seemed like hours of crying together, me and Finnick helped bring Mags and Annie into their rooms as soon as it started getting dark. They both seemed to fall asleep rather quickly, probably from all the crying.

Me and Finnick were now sitting on the couch again in silence, just processing everything.

"I might have to go back in." Finnick spoke, breaking the silence. I look up at him and see him staring down at the floor, it was true. There was only two male victors alive from district 4, Finnick and Farrell McCain who won the 27th hunger games.

"Finnick, you have a 50/50 chance of being picked, I on the other hand, I don't have a choice." I said, looking back down to my hands. It was only me, Mags and Annie left in the female's side and there was no chance in hell I was letting either of them go back in.

Finnick turned to look at me while shaking his head repeatedly. "Katia you can't go back in the games, I know the person u become whenever we set foot in the capitol, let alone the arena. I hated seeing you like that."

"Finnick, the person I was back then in the arena, I'm still that person. I'm still arrogant and aggressive and I still enjoy seeing people die as long as it's not people I love, I'm just not that person when I'm back here in District 4 because this place reminds me of mom and dad! And I know you guys don't like seeing that part of me but I can't help it." I let out.

I put my hands around my head while taking deep breaths to calm me back down. Finnick looked shocked at the words that came out of my mouth before he moved closer grabbing my hands.

"We love you Katia. But I don't want to see you in that arena again because this time you would be up against people just as good as you." He said squeezing my hands.

"I have to I don't have a choice. It's between me, Mags and Annie. No way in a million years would I let Mags go back in there especially at her age. And Annie has had enough trauma from her games, we can't let her go through that again." Before Finnick tried to protest, I spoke up again.

"Annie watched her district partner loose his head which gave her major PTSD. I chopped off multiple tribute's heads and enjoyed it. That's the difference between us and exactly why I need to go, and not them. I can handle all the gore and deaths, hell I'll probably cause half of them, but they wouldn't."

It was true, during my games I enjoyed every single life I took, especially the last one and I didn't mind killing more people.

Finnick thought for a moment before getting up from the couch and holding his hand out for me to take. He pulls me up from the couch and into a hug.

"I love you Kat and I need you to come back home to me. To all of us." He said while holding me in his arms.

I nod my head as we let go of each other and walked upstairs to our room.

Before I closed my door, I called out his name and he turned around. "I love you too Fin." I said with a sad smile before I closes the door to my room.

I can't believe I get to do this all over again. But the level of difficulty's going to rise higher than ever.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

1032 words!