Chapter 18 - The Great Glass Elevator

Ding!

Mr. Wonka had led the group to an elevator that was made entirely out of heavy reinforced glass, much to the children's amazement.

"I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier." Mr. Wonka stated. "The elevator's by far the most efficient way to get around the factory."

Nolan, who was currently walking alongside Violet and her mother, looked around him in astonishment. This was the craziest elevator he had ever seen. There were buttons everywhere! The three walls were absolutely covered all over with small push buttons.

"There can't be this many floors." Mike said as he gazed at all of them.

"How do you know, Mr. Smartypants?" Mr. Wonka returned, making the Colorado boy roll his eyes.

"And this isn't just an ordinary up-and-down elevator, by the way." Mr. Wonka continued. "This elevator can go sideways, longways, slantways and any other ways you can think of. You just press any button, and whoosh! You're off!"

As an example, he pushed a button on the wall to the right of the entrance. Instantly the door dinged and slid shut.

No sooner had this happened that the elevator zoomed off in a sideways direction, before plummeting down a tube, then zooming sideways in a completely other direction. Both Violet and Veruca grabbed each of Nolan's hands for fear of losing their balance, and the boy's face went redder than ever.

Then, it slowed down to a comfortable speed so the group could see out.

"Oh, look!" Mr. Wonka pointed out the window. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Fudge Mountain!"

Charlie and Nolan looked out to see a great, craggy, mountain made entirely of fudge, with what looked like snow on its caps, but it turned out to be a thin layer of vanilla frosting. Oompa-Loompas – all harnessed for safety – were using ice picks to hack hunks of fudge out of the mountain's sides. They waved to the group in the elevator as it passed.

Through a hole in the wall went the elevator, and they passed through another room filled with sheep. But Charlie noticed... the sheep were covered in pink wool! Several Oompa-Loompas worked away shearing the wool from the sheep using electric shavers. Charlie figured the wool must really be candy floss.

Mr. Wonka cleared his throat. "I'd rather not talk about this one."

Through another hole, the group found themselves looking upon a small medical facility.

"This is the Puppet Hospital and Burn Center." Mr. Wonka explained. "It's... relatively new."

At that moment Nolan realised the puppets in the medical facility were the ones that sang the Wonka Welcome Song at the beginning of the tour, and had caught fire at the end of it.

Through the next hole, the elevator slightly picked up speed before dropping again. Charlie noticed several columns of cubicles, where several Oompa-Loompas sat at computers. Nolan felt his heart enter his throat as this happened.

"Ah, the administration offices!" Mr. Wonka pointed out as the elevator stopped at the reception desk. "Hello, Doris!"

He waved to the Oompa-Loompa seated, who waved back.

Then, the elevator began to travel directly in reverse, away from the desk.

Now, the elevator dropped yet again, flying through several fireworks and lasers and flashing lights. The whole structure rumbled slightly.

"Why is everything here completely pointless?" Mike spoke up in a bored voice.

"Candy doesn't have to have a point." Charlie replied. "That's why it's candy."

"It's stupid!" Mike retaliated.

Mr. Wonka's heart caught in his mouth. He remembered hearing his father utter those same words when he was a boy.

Images of his childhood flashed before his eyes.

FLASHBACK

"Candy is a waste of time!" Dr. Wonka boomed as he and his son stood in the front room of their house. "No son of mine is going to be a chocolatier!"

"Then I'll run away!" Little Willy Wonka responded defiantly. "To Switzerland! Bavaria! The candy capitals of the world!"

"Go ahead," Dr. Wonka said. "But I won't be here when you come back."

The young boy immediately donned his coat and left the house.

"I'm sorry, son. We're closed for the night." A guard said to little Willy Wonka as he stood outside the Flags of the World exhibit at the museum in London.

When Willy Wonka eventually returned home, he was met with an unexpected sight.

Their house was gone, and so was his father.

The young boy was on his own now.

FLASHBACK END

Mr. Wonka slowly and quietly returned to the present, just as Mike turned to face him.

"I wanna pick a room!" He said, getting bored of the travel so far.

Mr. Wonka smiled. "Go ahead."

Mike took a look around at all the buttons, before his gaze landed on one that had "Television Room" written beside it.

Mike stuck out his index finger and pushed the button. There was a hissing sound as the elevator stopped, then moved sideways again.

"Television Room?" Nolan echoed. "This should be interesting."