Chapter 16 - Another Memory

The group were now following Mr. Wonka through one of the long corridors again.

"Without the boat, we'll have to move double-time to keep on schedule." Mr. Wonka was saying. "There's far too much to see."

"Mr. Wonka?" Charlie said.

"Yeah?"

"Why did you decide to let people in?" The British boy inquired further.

"So they could see the factory, of course." Mr. Wonka answered.

"But why now?" Nolan questioned. "And why only six?"

Just then, Mike butted in. "What's the special prize, and who gets it?"

"The best kind of prize is a sur-prise!" Mr. Wonka laughed.

"Whatever, I'm still gonna win!" Violet added.

"And another question, if I may," said Nolan. "Can you remember the first candy you ever ate?"

Mr. Wonka furrowed his eyebrows in thought, before shaking his head.

"No." He answered.

FLASHBACK

In fact, Willy Wonka did remember the first candy he ever ate.

It was the afternoon after Halloween, and the young boy was at home staring at the fireplace where his father had thrown his Halloween candy when he noticed a tiny ball with a wrapper on it underneath the fireplace itself. He picked it up to examine it when he realised what it was.

It was a little ball of milk chocolate.

Quickly he looked around the room. Dr. Wonka was nowhere to be found.

The boy swiftly unwrapped the ball and popped it in his mouth, taking great care to navigate it around his retainer and orthodontic headgear.

The result was an explosion of intense euphoria inside him. He had never tasted anything like it in his life.

You know what they all say. It only takes one, then before you know it you're addicted. Pretty soon little Willy Wonka was sneaking chocolate and candy whenever he could, writing down in great detail the taste, texture and other characteristics of each one he tested in a little notebook he kept with him.

Little did he know that one little chocolate ball would eventually take him on the biggest business venture of his life.

FLASHBACK END

"Mr. Wonka, are you all right?" Charlie asked as Mr. Wonka snapped out of his trance.

"I'm sorry, I was having a flashback." Mr. Wonka responded slowly.

"I see." Mr. Salt said, slightly concerned by his response.

"These flashbacks happen often?" Mr. Teavee spoke up.

"Increasingly... today." Mr. Wonka answered as he felt everyone's eyes on him.

He continued forward down the corridor as everyone slowly began to follow him again.