Chapter 15 - Violet's Close Call

Mr. Wonka led the party to a gigantic machine that stood in the very centre of the room. It was a mountain of gleaming metal that towered high above the children and their parents. Out of the very top of it there sprouted hundreds of thin glass tubes that all curled downwards and came together in a bunch.

"Wait right here," Mr. Wonka instructed as he mounted a small staircase towards a funnel. He grabbed a small basket, of which the contents were not visible to the others, and dumped it down the funnel with a clatter. He then came back down the staircase and ran over to a large lever.

"Watch this!" He said with a huge grin as he pulled the lever downwards.

No more than a second later, alarms and flashing lights started going off. A mighty rumbling sound came from inside the machine, and the whole thing began to shake most frighteningly and steam began hissing out of it all over. Suddenly, the watchers noticed a compartment folding outwards like a cardboard box and – slowly and carefully, almost as if it were coming out of a printer – producing a white strip of something. Violet let go of Nolan's hand, reached out and plucked it free. Mike Teavee and a couple others, however, thought it must have been a mistake.

"You mean that's it?" The boy asked.

"Do you even know what 'it' is?" Mr. Wonka asked in return, still smiling.

Violet nodded. "It's gum."

"Yeah," replied the chocolatier with a nod. "It's a stick of the most amazing and sensational gum in the whole universe. Know why? Because this gum is a full three-course dinner all by itself!"

Mr. Salt was puzzled. "Why would anyone want that?"

Mr. Wonka paused for a moment, before producing his cue cards from the inside of his coat, and reading aloud.

"It will be the end of all kitchens and all cooking." He read. "Just a little strip of Wonka's magic chewing gum and that is all you will..." He flipped to the next card. "...ever need at breakfast, lunch and dinner. This piece of gum happens to be tomato soup, roast beef and blueberry pie."

Grandpa Joe's eyes shone. "It sounds great!"

"It sounds weird." Veruca added.

"It sounds like my kind of gum." Violet chimed in, removing her own piece of gum from her mouth and placing it in its usual spot.

Nolan smiled. "It sounds like it's your lucky day, Violet."

Mr. Wonka was quick to interject. "I'd rather you didn't. There are still some things that are a little–"

"Oh come on, Mr. Wonka," Nolan interrupted him. "Honestly, what's the worst that could happen?"

Violet agreed. "I'm the world-record holder in chewing gum. I'm not afraid of anything."

She glanced at Nolan with a smirk and winked at him again, before popping the piece of gum in her mouth. Mr. Wonka stood with an uneasy expression.

"How is it, Violet?" Nolan asked.

Violet turned to him with her eyes wide in awe. "It's amazing!" She exclaimed. "Tomato soup! I can feel it running down my throat!"

"Yeah, spit it out." Mr. Wonka squeaked with a nervous smile.

"Young lady, I think you'd better–" Grandpa Joe intervened, but Violet cut him short.

"Nolan, it's changing!" She reported. "Roast beef, with baked potato. Crispy skin and butter!"

"Keep chewing, kiddo." Ms. Beauregarde encouraged. "My little girl's gonna be the first person in the world to have a chewing gum meal!"

"Yeah," Mr. Wonka said, still nervous. "I'm just a little concerned about the–"

"Blueberry pie and ice cream!" Violet was absolutely astonished.

Mr. Wonka sighed. "That part."

There was silence for a second, before Veruca suddenly spoke up.

"What's happening to her nose?" She asked.

Nolan furrowed his eyebrows and fixed his blue eyes on Violet's nose, and something was indeed different. A speck of purple had appeared at the very tip of Violet's nose and was spreading by the second.

"It's turning blue!" Mr. Salt replied, quite concerned.

"Yeah, I see what you mean now, Mr. Wonka." Nolan admitted. "Violet, you need to spit that out right now. Your entire nose has practically gone purple."

"What do you mean?" Violet asked, still chewing away.

"Violet..." Charlie shyly spoke up. "I think you'd better listen to Nolan."

Nolan had had enough. "Violet, this is no time for messing around!" He exclaimed, making Violet flinch. "Spit it out and give it to me right now!"

Violet knew the curly haired boy wasn't kidding. Not to mention she didn't want to get on his bad side. She hastily spit out the gum and placed it in Nolan's open hand as her nose returned to its normal colour.

"Thank you." Nolan said as he produced a tissue from the left hand pocket of his jeans, wrapped up the gum and threw it in a rubbish bin nearby.

Violet stood still and didn't say a word, but one thought went through her head.

"He's even cuter when he's angry!"

Ms. Beauregarde, however, was fuming. "Nolan, you dare speak to my daughter like that!"

"Mom," her daughter interrupted her. "It's okay... I deserved it."

"You're lucky Nolan stopped you in time, little girl." Mr. Wonka added. "Otherwise, you would have ended up as a giant blueberry."

"I'm sorry, what?" Nolan turned to face the wacky wonder worker.

Mr. Wonka smiled and shook his head in perplexity. "I've tried it on, like, 20 Oompa-Loompas, and each one ended up as a blueberry." He chuckled. "It's just weird."

"If there's one thing that we can all agree on," Nolan said to Violet's mother. "It's that you can't have a blueberry for a daughter. How would she compete otherwise?"

"You could put her in a county fair." Veruca chimed in.

Nolan couldn't help but burst out laughing at Veruca's suggestion, while Violet just glared at her. Veruca smirked in return.

"I'm sorry I laughed," Nolan said after he had calmed down. "But that was actually really funny."

Veruca smiled widely at him.

"Well come on," Mr. Wonka spoke up. "Let's boogie!"

As they walked, Violet looked at Nolan.

"Thanks for the save, dork." She smiled.

Nolan cocked his head to one side. "Really? Out of all the new names you could have fashioned for me, you call me a dork? Why?"

The girl shrugged, still smiling. "Cause you're cute."

With that, she hurried after the rest of the group, leaving Nolan stunned. He stood stock still for a few seconds.

"Nolan, come on!" He heard Charlie's voice call out to him, snapping out of his trance and hurrying after the others.