Chapter 3 - An Unexpected Announcement

Indeed, that very night, the impossible had already been set in motion. Willy Wonka had broken his silence. A notice had been posted on telephone poles and street corners all around the globe, and that day, from radios all around the world, Willy Wonka's voice was heard for the first time in what seemed like ages.

Mr. Bucket came home from the toothpaste factory with the latest copy of The Guardian in his hand.

"Have you heard the news?" He asked everyone. He held up the paper so that they could see the huge headline:

WONKA FACTORY TO BE OPENED AT LAST TO LUCKY FEW

"You mean people are actually going to be allowed to go inside the factory?" Grandpa Joe exclaimed in astonishment. "Read us what it says, quickly!"

"All right." Mr. Bucket said, smoothing out the newspaper as everyone gathered around. "Listen."

Mr. William "Willy" Wonka, chocolatier and confectionery genius who has remained out of the public spotlight for the past decade, sent out the following notice today:

"I, Willy Wonka, have decided to allow six special people to visit my factory this year. In addition, one of these people will receive a special prize beyond what anyone could ever imagine. These lucky six will be shown around the factory personally by me, and they will be allowed to see all the secrets and the magic of my factory. Then, at the end of the tour as a special gift, all of them will be given enough chocolates to last them for a lifetime. Six Golden Tickets have been printed on golden paper, and have been hidden underneath the ordinary wrapping paper of six ordinary bars of chocolate. These six chocolate bars may be anywhere – in any shop on any street in any town or city in any country in the world – upon any counter where Wonka bars are sold, and the six lucky finders of these six Golden Tickets are the only ones who will be allowed to visit my factory and see what it's like now inside. Good luck to you all, and happy hunting!"

Somewhere else in the world, particularly in New York City in the United States, a young boy named Nolan Connelly with tight curly blond hair and wire-framed glasses watched the CNN news bulletin with eager eyes.

His father Louis, a professional singer and musician, immigrated from Dublin years before Nolan's birth. It was there in New York that he met Nolan's mother Lyla, a cellist for the New York Philharmonic Orchestra. They were married a year later, when Lyla was pregnant with Nolan.

"If we take a look in Tokyo, the Japanese government has employed crowd control and military outposts around all candy stores to prevent unprecedented rioting scales." Wolf Blitzer was saying, pointing at a map.

"Yeah, even in areas like Marrakesh in Morocco, the black market dealers are hawking Wonka bars instead of drugs and weaponry. It's pretty crazy." Don Lemon added. "Even right here in New York, moguls have given up caviar and Chianti in favour of Wonka bars. It's absolute insanity down here, and only time will tell when this madness will end."

"Exciting, isn't it?" Nolan's father said from behind him.

"Sure is." The blonde boy responded, smiling. "It would be pretty cool to find one, even though there's a high chance it's not gonna happen."

"Hey, look at me." Mr. Connelly said, putting a hand on his son's shoulder. "It's like winning the lottery. You gotta take a gamble, the only way to find out is find out, right?"

"Wouldn't it be something, Charlie, to open a bar of chocolate and find a Golden Ticket inside?" Grandpa Joe asked his grandson.

"But I only get one bar a year, for my birthday." Charlie replied sadly.

"Well, it's your birthday next week!" Mrs. Bucket reminded him.

"You have as much chance as anybody else does." Grandma Josephine added.

"Balderdash!" Grandpa George exploded. "The kids who are going to find the Golden Tickets are the ones who can afford to buy a hundred candy bars a day. Our Charlie gets only one a year."

"Everyone has a chance, Charlie." Grandma Georgina spoke up.

"Mark my words, Charlie." Grandpa George continued. "The kid who finds the first golden ticket will be fat, fat, fat."