Chapter 9 - Mr. Wonka Says Hello!

The sun was shining brightly on the morning of the big day, but the ground was still white with snow and the air was very cold.

Outside the gates of Wonka's factory, enormous crowds of people had gathered to watch the six lucky ticket holders going in. The excitement was tremendous. The crowds were pushing and shouting, press cameras were clicking and flashing, and police officers with arms linked were trying to hold them back from the gates. Even Mr. Oliver Stewart, the BBC News reporter who had interviewed Nolan during his time in New York, was present to cover the event on national live television.

Right beside the gates, in a small group that was carefully shielded from the crowds by the police, stood the six famous children with the grownups who had come with them. Charlie stood with Grandpa Joe; Veruca, Mike and Nolan with their fathers; and Augustus and Violet with their mothers.

"Daddy, I want to go in!" Veruca could be heard complaining.

"It's 9:59, sweetheart!" Mr. Salt replied.

"Then make time go faster!" Veruca demanded.

Behind him, Charlie could hear the shouts of the people in the crowd as they pushed and fought to get a glimpse of the famous children.

"There's Violet Beauregarde!" Someone shouted. "That's her alright! I can remember her face from the newspapers!"

"And you know what?" A woman shouted back. "She's still chewing that dreadful old piece of gum she's had for three months! You look at her jaws, they're still working on it!"

"Who's the big fat boy?" Another voice spoke up.

"That's Augustus Gloop!" The woman replied.

"So it is! Enormous, isn't he?" The first voice added.

"Fantastic!"

"Who's the lad with the picture of the Lone Ranger stencilled on his windcheater?"

"That's Mike Teavee, he's the video game fiend!"

"The one I want to see is Veruca Salt!" Another voice in the crowd shouted. "She's the girl whose father runs that nut business in Buckinghamshire, bought up half a million chocolate bars and made his entire staff unwrap every one of them until a Golden Ticket was found! She gets anything she wants, absolutely anything! She only has to start screaming for it!"

"Dreadful, isn't it?"

"Shocking, I call it!"

"Which do you think is her?"

"That one, over there on the left! The girl in the silver mink coat!"

"Who's the one standing next to Veruca, with the curly hair and glasses wearing that black trench coat?" Another voice asked.

"That's Nolan Connelly! He's the only sensible one, really! He and his father arrived here in that white limo, remember?"

"So it is! I've been a fan of his parents' music for years!"

"I hear he's a fan of that show Top Gear or something."

"And did you hear the speech he did on the television?"

"Absolutely marvellous!"

"Which one is Charlie Bucket?"

"Charlie Bucket? He must be that skinny lad standing in between Louis Connelly and that old fellow who looks incredibly malnourished. Very close to us, just there! See him?"

"Why hasn't he got a coat on in this weather?" Another woman asked in surprise.

"Don't ask me, love. Maybe he can't afford to buy one."

"Goodness me, he must be freezing!"

Charlie leaned over and whispered to Grandpa Joe. "Do you think Mr. Wonka will recognize you?"

"Hard to say, it's been years." Grandpa Joe responded.

Augustus was wolfing down a candy bar and Violet had her record-holding gum in her mouth, per usual.

"Eyes on the prize, Violet, eyes on the prize." Ms. Beauregarde informed her daughter, who nodded confidently before sneaking a glance at Nolan, whose attention was on his father.

"Remember to stay calm, Nolan." Mr. Connelly kindly reminded his son, as the gates opened. The crowd became silent.

"Please enter." Willy Wonka's voice reverberated over the loudspeakers, which reminded Nolan of the classic 1939 film The Wizard of Oz, which he watched when he was still quite small.

The guests all came through the gates, before Wonka spoke again.

"Come forward!"

They all did.

"Close the gates!" Wonka boomed, as the gates shut behind them. "Dear visitors, it is my great pleasure to welcome you to my humble factory. Who am I? Well..."

Then there emerged a display of puppets resembling small children, dancing around and singing Wonka's Welcome Song.

Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka
The amazing chocolatier
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka
Everybody give a cheer!
He's modest, clever, and so smart
He can barely restrain it
With so much generosity
There is no way to contain it
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka
He's the one that you're about to meet
Willy Wonka, Willy Wonka
He's a genius who just can't be beat
The magician and the chocolate wiz
The best darn guy who ever lived
Willy Wonka, here he is!

As the song finished, a chair popped up from the floor in the rear, but it was empty. A huge amount of fireworks was lit off, accidentally setting some of the puppets on fire. The show proceeded to melt down, and the music itself slowed down as well.

The guests heard clapping to their left, and they looked to see a tall, slender man with brown hair wearing a plum colored overcoat that went down to his knees over a black shirt with a W-shaped pin. He had a tall, black hat on his head and a golden chain presumably for a pocket watch.

"Wasn't that just magnificent?" He asked the group, still clapping with a huge grin on his face. "I was worried it was getting sort of dodgy in the middle part, but then that finale! Wow!"

"Who are you?" Violet asked the strange man, her eyebrows furrowed.

"He's Willy Wonka!" Grandpa Joe replied, eyes shining in delight.

There was a long, awkward pause as Wonka and the guests surveyed each other.

"Good morning, starshine, the earth says hello!" Mr. Wonka said, trying to diffuse the tension, but in reality only making it worse for himself.

Mr. Wonka cleared his throat as he pulled out a small array of cue cards.

"Dear guests, greetings!" He read aloud. "Welcome to the factory! I shake you warmly by the hand. My name is Willy Wonka."

"Then shouldn't you be up there?" Veruca asked, pointing to the throne.

"Well, I couldn't very well watch the show from up there, now could I, little girl?" Mr. Wonka responded.

Just then, Grandpa Joe spoke up. "Mr. Wonka, I don't know if you remember me, but I used to work in your factory."

Mr. Wonka turned to him. "Were you one of those despicable spies who every day tried to steal my life's work and sell it to those parasitic copycat candy making cads?"

"No, sir!" Grandpa Joe said, surprised.

Mr. Wonka gave him a warm smile. "Then wonderful, welcome back!" He then turned around. "Let's get a move on, kids!"

Everyone followed him into the factory, the children taking a good look around them.

"Don't you vant to know all our names?" Augustus asked.

"Can't imagine how it would matter." Mr. Wonka replied. "Come quickly, there's far too much to see."