Flower* (TanKana)

Middle Ages AU!

resentful!Tanjiro x forgiving!Kanao

Years after his family was slaughtered by demons, Tanjiro has been adopted by the Brotherhood, a split group from the Rebels, who are corrupt. After being taught their ways, he has been given a mission to kill and usurp the throne's heiress, the princess Kanao. However, there is more to their relationship than meets the eye...

Categories:forbidden love, hidden past

---

*This oneshot does not have a song

Spring seemed just around the corner. Everyone seemed bustling with joy as the streets began to fill with people for the upcoming farmer's market. Brightness and laughter filled the air, something he thought would only last during Christmas.

He pulled his hood closer over his head.

Beside him were his comrades; his friends, who had stayed with him even after he was exiled.

"You seem pressed, Tanjiro." Inosuke commented. He shook his head.

"It's nothing. We should carry on with our mission. To kill the princess."

Many had asked him why he had chosen to take on this particular mission, especially after his tense history with the kingdom, including his mentor, and friend, Urokodaki. He fiddled with his hands.

"Her parents are tyrants. And they rule the kingdom with everything they have, including their daughter. It is rumored that their daughter has the ability to make the crops and flowers grow. Something that you are matched for, Tanjiro."

Tanjiro's mouth fell into a firm line.

"I... understand."

Being in this kingdom made him tense. Years had passed after his family was slaughtered, and it seemed wrong for him to set foot in the kingdom again after only a few years after being exiled. He was blamed for his family's deaths, even though he was nowhere near where his family was massacred. In the chaos, his sister had gone missing, his family dead, he was blamed for the destruction of the House of Kamado.

It was ironic, really. Everything he had stood for; it was gone. His family; dead. His siblings; gone. Everything had been taken away from him in the blink of an eye. He was determined to take back everything that had been taken from him, starting with the royal family.

He would take away something that was held dear to the entire kingdom: the princess.

But one of their comrades held back.

Zenitsu.

"Zenitsu! Hurry your ass up!" Inosuke barked.

They were attracting attention. Tanjiro panicked as he looked around, and pulled Inosuke and Zenitsu by the hood, and they protested.

"Listen," Tanjiro whispered, "you two have to stop the carriage, so I can hop in and kill the princess."

Zenitsu tensed up.

"Are you sure about this, Tanjiro? I know... I know that the royal family orchestrated this; that they were the ones who killed your parents... but the princess.."

"I'm going to take... everything from them..." Tanjiro gritted his teeth. Inosuke looked pointedly at Zenitsu, who sighed.

"This isn't right. The Brotherhood... they're manipulating you. Urokodaki was right. Gramps was right. The Brotherhood is corrupted." Zenitsu pushed through, "the Royal Family is corrupted. But the princess; she's adopted. You know that, right?"