Chapter Thirty - Two

“Where there's marriage without love, there will be love without marriage.”

-Benjamin Franklin

Chapter Thirty Two – Celeste

----------------------------

“You look fine,” Francesca insisted. “The pink color really suits you.”

“I don't know,” I murmured, though how I looked in the dress was about he last thing on my mind.

Pale light streamed in through the white curtains, turning streaks of light through my hair. The wedding was in a week, and Francesca and I were getting the final fitting for our dresses.

“Then what is it? You seem a bit upset.” I responded by shaking my head.

“Nothing important,” I replied, though it was a lie. I couldn't just tell her that I was uncomfortable preparing for her and Derek's wedding.

“Even if you do have a problem with the dress, it's too late now. We can only adjust the size.”

“I know,” I mumbled. “The dress is fine, don't worry Fran. It's beautiful.” She dimpled.

“I know, isn't it? Most brides would want everyone else to look pale in comparison, but I want everyone to admire you. It's not going to take much anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if someone mistook you for the bride. Your beauty steals the spotlight.”

“No,” I said shaking my head. “The spotlight will be on you, I promise.” Francesca sighed.

“I hope so.”

I hoped so too. I also made a mental reminder to stop making promises I might not be able to keep.

“Oh Francesca, don't you look wonderful,” the queen announced when she entered the room. I bowed quickly.

“What about Celeste?” Francesca inquired. The queen's eyes barely took notice of me.

“Oh, Celeste. Yes, she's here too.”

Thanks.

“Didn't you say you'd be here twenty minutes ago?” Francesca asked.

“I did,” the queen responded, “but Penelope stopped me in the hallway.” I noticed the disgust that consumed her voice when she spoke her name. It was worse then when she looked at me. “That girl doesn't even have a spec of dignity. I would kick her out, but I can't. The North family would be enraged. Lorendian already has enough war on its hands.” The queen shook her head. “That girl needs to learn a thing or two about manners.

“I agree,” Francesca and I added at the same time. We both exchanged glances, a tint of amusement glinting in our eyes.

“All right, get out of the dress now. We're going to have brunch with some of the wedding coordinators.”

“Oh, I love brunch,” I said with a small smile. Francesca and the queen stared at me questioningly. “Sorry, it's just that I know where to get the best brunch.”

“What's better than Le Douce Petit-Déjeuner?”

“The Breakfast Inn.”

“Oh, I remember! We went there once, right?” Francesca asked. I nodded. “I think we should go there.”